Calle Colombia y Calle 44 Este
You are an experienced biologist with a passion for field work and experience in education. You love going on hikes, especially when those hikes involve spontaneous lectures. You are as comfortable writing research papers as are you collecting water samples and you can walk students through the process of both. You are optimistic and resourceful. You hike in the rain, take notes on notebooks when computers aren’t working, and you make a trip to the swimming hole an educational lesson.
As the director of biology you will lead a group of undergraduate students in a 10-week semester, guiding them through the creation of biology based projects and research in an off-the-grid wilderness environment.
- 4+ year working in field studies beyond your undergraduate degree. Experience in tropical biology or ecology strongly preferred.
- Biological Science related degree. Master’s degree or PhD not required, but strongly preferred.
- Experience writing peer-reviewed articles, grants, and presenting at conferences
- Strong planner who enjoys organization
- Group leadership skills, including comfort leading hikes
- Desire to help fulfill the vision of Kalu Yala, expressed here: www.kaluyala.com
- Looking forward to living in a comfortable camp in the Panamanian jungle
- Spanish speaker
- Wilderness First Responder or other medical training
- CPR certified
- Manual vehicle/4x4 experience
- Flexible and resilient
- Experience living in a community
- $1,200 per month in salary
- Room + Board valued at $550 a month in our tropical wilderness camp
- 6 weeks paid vacation yearly, 2 weeks accrued semesterly after 3 month probationary period
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish speaker preferred but not required
Minimum Education Required