Details: Starting Salary: $48,000–$60,000 depending on experience and benefits package. Full-time preferred; part-time arrangements will be considered. Flexible work schedules and start dates.
406 5th St. NW, Suite 300
Position Announcement: Staff Attorney
October 25, 2018
The D.C. Tenants’ Rights Center seeks 1–2 staff attorneys to join our “low bono” law practice. We strive to provide low-cost, high-quality legal services to tenants in the District of Columbia.
The D.C. Tenants’ Rights Center exclusively represents and advises tenants in disputes with landlords. Typical issues include housing code violations, failure to return security deposits, lease terminations, evictions, and illegal rent increases. We also help tenants facing housing discrimination, and we represent tenants and tenant associations asserting their rights under the D.C. Tenant Opportunity to Purchase Act.
Staff attorneys advise tenants, negotiate with landlords, and provide representation in all phases of litigation in D.C. Superior Court, at the D.C. Court of Appeals, and at the D.C. Office of Administrative Hearings.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have the following:
• D.C. Bar license (or D.C. Bar application pending)
• Litigation experience
• A commitment to zealous, client-empowering advocacy
• Experience in housing law (experience in D.C. preferred)
• Strong analytical and writing skills
• Excellent client communication skills
• Interest in growing a small business
• Good planning and organizational skills
• Willingness to work with clients on tight budgets
• The ability to work collaboratively with other staff
• A commitment to social and economic justice
• Spanish-language skills (not required)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email a cover letter and resume to employment[at]dctenants.com. In your application, please note your D.C. bar status. (If your application to the D.C. Bar is pending, please note the date of your acknowledgment letter.) Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.