- The Advocacy PSO will develop, organize, and execute a wide range of activities to influence policy according to the scope of our programs, and specific results-oriented projects.
- S/he will build the policy capacity of our organization and advice on project implementation.
- S/he will carry out policy analysis and the writing of position statements of our organization.
- Together with the Media and Communications Officer and the Senior Programs Manager, s/he will play an active role in networking, lobbying, and representing the organization in a wide range of policy issues at events, conventions, and media opportunities.
- S/he will be able to integrate communication tools and channels in her/his work.
- Facilitate and guide our institutional advocacy strategy.
- Facilitate the development of joint advocacy strategies with partners associated networks, partners, and other offices of our organization.
- Develop strategic partnerships with key actors to achieve our policy goals.
- Act as a spokesperson liaison to media, governments, and other actors.
- Work with the Media and Communications Officer in organizing media outreach; arranging all media contacts, press briefings, and interviews; providing talking points and other materials as needed for staff; responds to media inquiries quickly and effectively.
- Production of a diverse range of information products including audio/visual communications, when needed to achieve specific policy goals.
- Support and advise the team on how to carry out advocacy properly.
- Identify key opportunities in the short and long-term in which we can influence policy processes.
- Advice management for meaningful engagement with key actors and institutions.
- Support opportunities for fund-raising regarding policy interventions.
- Support and coordinate the relevant regional policy processes and activities of regional offices especially with regards to global/international policy processes and fora related to wetlands and other societal issues.
- Anticipate possible advocacy developments and outcomes and prepare contingency plans and strategy adjustments.
Profile of the Candidate
- The Advocacy officer has experience in formulating and implementing organizational policy strategies.
- S/he has demonstrated a commitment to the cause either through previous job experiences or any other activities related to our mission.
- S/he has a solid track record in representing organizations before.
- S/he is proactive, creative, outspoken, optimistic with interest in education, employability, and entrepreneurship and a passion for making a difference with a preference for achieving outcomes in collaboration with others.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Bachelors’ Degree in a relevant field (e.g. Communications, Humanities, Education, International Relations, Law, Business Management, Public Administration).
- Proven working experience in policy analysis and advocacy in national, regional, and global dimensions.
- Demonstrable experience and achievements working in and advocating towards multi-stakeholder platforms and processes.
- Track record in policy analysis, writing and editing articles, website content, reports, and press releases.
- Experience working in an international environment is desirable.
- Ability to quickly understand and absorb new topics, issues, and disciplines and distill relevant advocacy strategies from them.
- Good understanding of political affairs and international institutions dynamics in Africa, and Nigeria especially.
- Experience in networking, stakeholder mapping and strategizing according to policy objectives of different projects.
- Ability to deliver oral presentations to various audiences.
- Excellent communication and project management skills; team player and facilitator.
- Excellent command of written and spoken the English Language.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Proficiency in cloud software applications (Skydrive, DropBox, Google Docs).
Recommended Prior Experience:
- Prior experience in the education or public sector.
- Prior experience providing advice to senior-level officials in the public, private or non-profit sectors;
- Reporting Relationship: Acting CEO