This is a NON-PAID, Volunteer position.
Are you looking to make a positive difference? Are you looking to leverage open-source technologies? Helpful is bringing volunteers together from across the globe in order to fight COVID & beyond. As volunteers, we contribute to this cause because we want everyone to have access to essential items needed to survive this pandemic. We need talented individuals like yourself. No matter your experience, we have a role for you!
Helpful is looking for a bright, experienced individual to join our team as a Director of Development. This is a fully remote position. In addition to directing the research and writing of grant proposals on behalf of Helpful, this position will lead in every aspect of fundraising and the grant lifecycle - from maintaining the grants calendar to monitor the application process and tracking various deadlines. Our ideal candidate should feel comfortable reaching out to potential institutional and individual donors, as well as communicating with our CEO, CFO, Director of Organizational Support, and department leads regarding their financial needs.
Responsible for drafting and submitting Letters of Inquiry for foundation, corporate, and government grants; drafting language for proposals and reports. Updating progress in grant Tracker. Requests will be for both general operating support as well as program and project-specific requests.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of our fundraising operation. Coordinate the outreach efforts with the CEO, CFO, and Director of Organizational Support.
- Maintain an updated fundraising plan including planned outreach, collected and anticipated revenue, and lead development.
- Create and edit proposals, reports, LOIs, and other correspondence to submission to foundation, corporate, and government funders.
- Actively identify and solicit grants from foundations, corporations, and government agencies.
- Manage grants administration and preparation, including grant writing, grant reporting, and revenue collection.
- Build and manage grant-writing and fundraising teams.
- Plan and manage online fundraising events.
- Draft and submit Letters of Inquiry and proposals as requested by Director of Development and CEO
- Gather supporting documents and attachments for proposals
- Perform prospect research on new foundation, corporate and government grant opportunities
- Research potential new foundation and corporate funding sources that align with Helpful’s program areas and mission
- Help maintain a schedule of upcoming letters of intent (LOI), grant applications, and reporting deadlines and tasks.
- Work with CEO and Director of Organizational support to determine priority of grant proposals to be written.
- Supervise writing of concise, clear, and persuasive fundraising materials, including drafting of letters of inquiry (LOI), proposals, and reports for foundation and corporate funding sources;
- Review, edit, and finalize each document for submission on a timely basis;
- Research and collect data and study findings to support grant proposals and reports. Special attention should be made in checking for completeness against grant instructions, spelling, grammar, and style; and to ensure compliance and regulatory requirements.
- Respond to inquiries from funders and programs strategically and in a timely manner.
- Reviews, summarizes, and tracks data on grant awards received in database and file formats. Prepares timely acknowledgment letters and accurate reporting.
- Oversee and track all grant milestones including, but not limited to; proposals in development, proposals submitted to funders, proposals that have been issued or canceled, deliverable deadlines, communication, and awards, in donor tracking software, ensuring that all content is complete and up to date at all times.
- Identify prospects for individual and corporate support, conduct prospect research, initiate and conduct direct outreach and solicitation, independently and/or in partnership with senior leadership.
- You’re an excellent communicator and representative, comfortable drafting solicitation emails, writing grants, and communicating extensively with organization staff and potential partners.
- Minimum of two years of related experience/skills preferred (outstanding applicants with other relevant experience/skills such as journalism, project management, and/or academic research will be considered).
- Excellent written communication skills; ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals quickly to meet internal and external deadlines
- Strong editing and proofreading skills and attention to detail
- Experience with proposal writing and institutional donors.
- Ability to work well independently.
- Ability to interpret complex grant funding requirements, submissions, and budget projections.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, manage multiple tasks to meet specific deadlines, and readjust priorities as changes happen.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Good organizational skills and follow-through.
- Ability to manage deadlines, multiple projects, and competing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear, compelling proposals that resulted in funding.
- Understand and use data in assessing program outcomes.