We're looking for an analytical brain with a big heart to help us create healthy futures for the children of incarcerated parents. Join Gaining Empowerment in Middle School (GEMS) and Cherish our Children to standardize our successful social, emotional and cognitive development curriculum, and be the architect of a program to help bring role-models into students' lives. Help us create an amazing future for some of the most vulnerable students of America, and know that your year of service will have a lasting impact on at-risk students for generations to come!
Member Duties :
This is a VISTA role for someone who wants to roll up their sleeves and answering the question, How do we build the program so that it can grow? You will be involved in planning and implementing three key approaches: 1.Building the service network to meet the needs of our student’s families, including food, shelter, job training and legal support. Creating the systems to identify caregiver needs, build the deep relationships with outside organizations, and measure outcomes. 2.Creating the system to recruit/coordinate role-models to assist in classes and impact students outside of class. 3.Formalizing the GEMS curriculum and developing the training for future instructors. In order to be effective, he/she will be actively involved in every aspect of the program, initially to learn the program and then to ensure that the planning aligns with the program needs. Fluency in Spanish is a necessity for this position because English is a second language for many student' caregivers.
About COCI: Cherish Our Children is out to break the cycle of intergenerational incarceration, which is one of the most difficult and complex problems to solve in our society. In 2021 we launched GEMS -Gaining Empowerment in Middle School to help students work through the trauma, stress and stigma of having a parent in prison. In creating GEMS, COCI specifically designed the program so that it could be expanded through a standardized curriculum and instructor training approach. The need for a program that can grow is there. More than 42,000 middle school-aged children in the Houston metro area are have had a parent in prison at some point in their lives.
About VISTA: AmeriCorps VISTAs are full-time, paid volunteers placed through the Literacy Coalition of Central Texas at service sites across Texas. Each VISTA serves for one year at their placement site with at our partner agencies. They help to improve health services, create and evaluate programs, strengthen community groups, conduct outreach, and much, much more. VISTA members and their service sites create, implement, expand, and improve programs designed to bring individuals and communities out of poverty.
As an AmeriCorps VISTA member, you will receive:
- Living allowance paid on the 15th and final day of every month (equal to approximately $1100 a month)
- Health and prescription drug benefits for the full year of service
- Eligibility for stipends and benefits (such as SNAP) to assist with living expenses
- Student loan forbearance
- The option to receive the Segal Education Award ($6,345) upon successful completion of service, which can be applied towards eligible student loans or future education costs. Those who select the education award have the option to have the National Service Trust pay all or a portion of the interest that accumulates on their qualified student loans during service at the end of their successful term.
- Monthly professional development sessions, as well as individual check-ins to provide guidance and resources
- Additional training and development opportunities through the Literacy Coalition
- Participation in various community service projects throughout the term
- Site specific training for individual member roles
- Eligibility for additional stipends and benefits to assist members with children, or members relocating more than 50 miles for service
- Leave benefits: 10 personal days and 10 days of sick leave in addition to any holidays taken by your site
- The option to receive $1,800 cash stipend in place of the education award at the end of service
- Non-Competitive Eligibility for one year to aid in applying to federal jobs upon successful completion of your service term
You can see our other open positions here:
You can learn more about the VISTA program here:
If you would like to be considered for this position, please apply through the my.AmeriCorps.gov portal. Here is the direct link to the position:
We're looking for an analytical brain with a big heart to help us create healthy futures for the children of incarcerated parents. Join Gaining Empowerment in Middle School (GEMS) and Cherish our Children to standardize our successful…
VISTA positions are one year, FULL time, paid volunteer positions. This position will run from July 19, 2021 to July 18, 2022. If you would like to be considered, please apply through the my.AmeriCorps.gov portal. Here is the direct link to the position:
VISTA positions are one year, FULL time, paid volunteer positions. This position will run from July 19, 2021 to July 18, 2022. If you would like to be considered, please apply through the…