About the Organization
The Institute for Criminal Justice Training Reform (The Institute) is the only nonprofit organization in the United States addressing criminal justice reform by focusing on law enforcement education. The Institute uses evidence-based research and advocacy to advance the quality of criminal justice delivery, prevent harm, and produce better outcomes across all communities.
The Institute is seeking an Information Technology and Information Security (IT/Info-Sec) leader to set up the IT infrastructure, systems, and controls to optimize, house, manage, and protect all confidential Institute information, including people, process, project artifacts, records, and data. The role reports to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), and will be an integral part of the Institute’s leadership team. As the organization continues its rapid growth, the Director will work closely with the executive leadership team and across the Enterprise to prepare the Institute for success at its current and future scale. The Director will develop and execute on an IT governance, architecture, and security strategy that supports the Institute’s core functions, Enterprise goals, operational plan, and strategic direction.
- Develop and manage the Institute’s IT roadmap in support of Enterprise operations and research objectives.
- Evaluate the Institute's current computer, communication, and information systems and technology use and needs based on stakeholder feedback, operational goals, and recommend improvements, such as hardware and software upgrades that will deliver on the IT infrastructure plan.
- Establish a strategic plan for IT/Info-Sec based on industry best practices and plan and carry out a transformation and migration plan, to the extent necessary, to ensure a successful transition from legacy to future-state systems.
- Ensure timely establishment of an integrated platform that supports all Enterprise Shared Services, such as Human Resources and Communications functions.
- Design and implement the architecture for the Institute’s technology, including software, server resources, communications plans, and networks to optimize performance and productivity.
- Build and maintain an analytics program; track, trend, analyze, and report on the Institute's performance.
- Design and implement an information security, privacy, data integrity and protection program, ensuring compliance with all applicable regulations.
- Perform a risk assessment and establish a plan to enhance reliability and security of IT systems, projects, and underlying data, and to ensure that all information assets are protected with ensure IT/Info-Sec and data resiliency and business continuity measures, including backups guarded from security threats.
- Define and execute IT and data security strategies to satisfy project and institutional data sharing agreements with other organizations and governmental entities.
- Deliver policies and procedures (P&Ps) and education, awareness, and training programs to keep Institute staff well apprised of IT/Info-Sec requirements best practices.
- Proactively prevent and timely detect all issues impacting the Institute from an IT Info-Sec perspective and lead investigations, establish remediation plans, and document all related activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in an IT/Info-Sec related field, such as Computer Science, from an accredited college or university; or
- Equivalent experience in lieu of degree.
- Five or more years of progressive experience in the IT/Info-Sec sector.
- Demonstrated success with strategic architectural design and implementation.
- Success in developing detailed systems and process design and test plans to meet operational objectives.
- Design and development experience with governance, systems, implementation, and architecture.
- Proven program, process, and policy development and ownership, including policies and procedures (P&Ps), governance frameworks, and ongoing quality monitoring performance monitoring plans.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills, with the ability to interact with all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to problem-solve and work to optimize existing processes, and the resourcefulness to innovate and conceptualize opportunities not defined by existing processes.
The Institute has a global workforce and the role is fully remote.
This is an outstanding volunteer opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected organization.