Notre Dame Mission Volunteers, AmeriCorps (NDMVA) is seeking applicants to serve as a Full-time AmeriCorps Member at Trinity Academy in Hartford, CT from September 2023-July 2024.
Trinity Academy is an independent, tuition-free elementary school (grades 1-4) for Hartford area students. We provide a safe and nurturing learning environment for our students with small class sizes (10-15 students per class) and lots of individual attention. Our school day runs from 8:15am-3:20pm, and is filled with intensive academics, enrichment activities/specials classes (gym, choir, art, gardening) and we provide breakfast, two snacks and lunch every day to all students.
The successful candidate will possess most of these qualifications:
- 1+ years’ experience working with children, preferably ages 6-10.
- Dedication to education and the advancement of students’ academic, social, and emotional well-being.
- Ability to form strong, positive relationships with staff, students, and families.
- Time management skills.
- Experience working with under-resourced families preferred.
- Required: must be a U.S. Citizen or legal permanent resident
- Create a safe and nurturing learning environment.
- Teach Art, Music, Gym, and/or an alternative enrichment course to grades 1-4.
- Develop and submit weekly lesson plans.
- Work under the guidance of our Curriculum Coach.
- Deliver group and individual student instruction.
- Handle social/emotional issues as they arise.
- Monitor students in a variety of educational environments (e.g. classroom and virtual classroom, cafeteria, playground, school grounds, hallways, restrooms, field trips, etc.) for the purpose of providing a safe and positive learning environment.
AmeriCorps Member Benefits:
- Living Allowance: Because Notre Dame- AmeriCorps is partnered with the Corporation for National and Community Service, we are able to offer our members a yearly living allowance which is distributed bi-weekly over the 11 months term. The pre-tax figure for 2023-2024 is approx. $18,000.
- The Education Award: Upon completion of a service term, AmeriCorps members receive a taxable education award of $6,895. The education award can be applied to qualified student loans or future education.
- Student Loan Forbearance: Members of NDA are eligible for forbearance of federal student loans during their term of service. This means that while a member is serving, he or she does not make payments on his or her qualifying loans. In addition, the National Trust will pay the interest that accrues on the loan at the end of the term of service. For more information please visit Postponing Student Loan Payments and Getting Interest Paid
- Optional Health Insurance: We provide optional healthcare while you serve with NDA.
- Child Care: NDA members may also be eligible for child care benefits. The AmeriCorps Child Care Program covers up to the state’s local market rate for child care fees and makes payments directly to the member’s caregiver.