United Way of the Piedmont in Upstate South Carolina is looking for 20 high-impact, results-driven candidates to lead the way in our collective impact approach to alleviating poverty. Join our dynamic team to be part of grassroots change in Spartanburg, Cherokee, & Union Counties increasing access to behavioral healthcare and increasing financial stability.
AmeriCorps VISTA members serve full-time in an area nonprofit agency and spend 10% of their time working collaboratively to address community-wide issues.
This is a great opportunity for recent graduates, retirees, career-changers, or anyone who is interested in starting a career in the nonprofit field.
Minimum Job Requirements:
To qualify for this position, an individual must meet the following minimum requirements:
- High school diploma / GED with one year of professional experience or commensurate educational experience;
- Effective oral, written, and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work with people from a variety of backgrounds;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Basic organizational skills;
- Ability to work independently;
- Willingness to learn new skills; and
- Ability to read, write, understand, and speak English fluently.
The AmeriCorps VISTA Member will be responsible for increasing the capacity of an area nonprofit organization to provide behavioral health and financial stability services through the following activities:
- Grant writing and fund development
- Volunteer recruitment and training
- Marketing and communications
- Program assessment, development, and implementation
- Data collection, research, and analysis
- Community outreach and engagement
In addition to these site-specific responsibilities, the AmeriCorps VISTA Member also spends 10% of their work time at United Way of the Piedmont on the following activities:
- On-Site Orientation and Training
- Professional development seminars
- MLK Day of Service planning committee
- Community Projects – in collaboration with either the Behavioral Health Taskforce or the Financial Stability Taskforce, the AmeriCorps VISTA Members will work in teams to address community-wide issues, conducting research, developing program materials, and establishing partnerships.
In addition, the AmeriCorps VISTA Member must fulfill the following organizational requirements:
- Uphold the mission, vision, and values of the United Way of the Piedmont;
- Adhere to all personnel policies and practices outlined in the United Way of the Piedmont’s Employee Handbook;
- Keep immediate supervisor informed of all pertinent information related to outlined job responsibilities.
Benefits of Service:
- Nationally recognized pre-service orientation and training provided
- Robust professional development opportunities
- Skill-building workshops
- Leadership and project management skill development
- $13,362 annual living stipend
- Mileage reimbursement and $750 Settling-in stipend available for relocation in excess of 50 miles
- Health coverage available
- Child care benefits available
- Federal student loan deferral and payment of accrued interest on eligible loans
- Access to basic household and personal hygiene supplies through United Way of the Piedmont’s Gifts in Kind Center
- Up to $100/month housing stipend
- $6,345 education award or $1,800 cash stipend awarded at successful completion of service
- Highly discounted YMCA membership
- One year of federal Non-Competitive hiring eligibility status upon successful completion of service term