Purpose: Ronald McDonald House Charities of Chicagoland & Northwest Indiana (RMHC-CNI) is committed to providing daily, nutritious meals for the families we serve. Meal Helpers play a critical role in this service by working alongside our culinary team to ensure the successful execution of comforting meals for families at the Ronald McDonald House near Lurie Children’s.
Location: Ronald McDonald House near Lurie Children’s, 211 E. Grand Ave., Chicago, IL 60611
· Help execute meals planned by the culinary team by following recipes, prepping ingredients, cooking dishes, and packing food into individual containers.
· Maintain an organized and functional kitchen by cleaning after food preparation, emptying dishwashers, running sanitizers, restocking pantries, deep cleaning, and properly storing food.
· Manage the dining room during meal service by providing direction to guest families, upholding all COVID-19 safety measures for diners, and consistently sanitizing and cleaning tables.
· If a Culinary Hearts volunteer group is present to prepare a meal during your shift:
o Act as a second-in-command to our culinary team, providing direction to and answering the questions of group participants.
o Support the culinary team in preparing for volunteer groups: gather needed supplies and ingredients, start on recipes, manage food deliveries, inventory supplies, and bring items to/from the kitchen and storage spaces as needed.
o Speak confidently to each volunteer meal group about their involvement, our House kitchen, and their impact on our mission.
· Must be at least 18 years of age.
· Comfortable cooking and knowledgeable in the kitchen, to be an asset to our culinary team.
· Adept at cleaning and maintaining a high-level of organization.
· Ability to work confidently in a busy kitchen environment.
· Willingness to work professionally and collaboratively with volunteers and RMHC-CNI staff.
· Agreement with and alignment to all RMHC-CNI rules, policies and protocols, including adherence to all safety/participation requirements in the wake of COVID-19.
· Must be capable of standing for each three-hour shift, and must be able to carry 35 pounds.
· Volunteers must be dependable, trustworthy, friendly and flexible.
Time Commitment and Scheduling:
· Volunteers must commit to two, three hours shifts per month for at least one year.
· Meal Helper shifts are currently available Thursday-Sunday, 10:00am-1:00pm and 1:00-4:00pm.
Training and Support:
· Volunteers must complete an orientation, background check and on-site shadow shifts.
· Meal Helpers report to our culinary team and House Managers.
· Interested individuals can submit an online application: http://vhub.at/lurievolunteers
Purpose: Ronald McDonald House Charities of Chicagoland & Northwest Indiana (RMHC-CNI) is committed to providing daily, nutritious meals for the families we serve. Meal Helpers play a critical role in this service by working alongside…