The Uganda Village Project (UVP) Executive Board is looking for one of two individuals to serve as co-chairpersons for the Development, Marketing, & Communications Committee (DMC). You will be joining the existing co-chairperson. Officers serve on a voluntary basis to support and guide our activities in the Iganga District of Uganda, where our public health programs serve rural communities.
These two individuals will work together to increase and deepen the current work of the Executive Board and UVP staff. Each co-chair is both a voting Executive Board member and co-leads the Development & Marketing Committee, a group of board members and volunteers that support and plan fundraising campaigns, increase social media awareness of UVP and its programs, and communicate with UVP supporters and donors. Board positions are one-year renewable terms requiring approximately 2-4 hours per week. We hold monthly online board meetings and one annual in-person board meeting (usually in October).
- Enthusiasm, dedication to service, willingness to make a commitment for sustained involvement;
- Familiarity with nonprofit development / fundraising, online marketing, social media, or communications, and an interest or background in international development;
- Self-starters who can manage his/her own time and is comfortable being involved in a geographically diverse organization with most meetings and projects managed online;
- Previous board or nonprofit experience is a plus
- Familiarity with social media management tools (Hootsuite, Sprout Social) is a plus
- Familiarity with simple graphic design platforms (Infogram, Canva) is a plus
Executive Board Duties:
- Participate in monthly Executive Board member virtual meetings (1 hour typically in the middle of the day ET);
- Participate in the annual in-person Executive Board member meeting;
- Vote upon important issues facing the organization, such as financial plans, project goals, changes in organizational structure, and fundraising strategies;
- Decide to pursue or establish an official relationship with an external organization;
- Maintain responsibility for how UVP is publicly presented;
- Maintain official UVP documents;
- Maintain appropriate contact with partner organizations;
- Take on short-term projects, when needed, and accomplish any additional administrative work;
- As the term concludes, the Board shall put out a call for officer applications and vote on the incoming Board members; and
- Raise or donate at least $1,000 per year towards UVP’s work in Uganda.
Development & Marketing Committee Co-Chair Duties::
- Co-lead the DMC committee in partnership with a second DMC co-chairperson;
- Help raise funds from individual donors and online;
- Help optimize UVP’s SEO and manage Google Ads grant;
- Support Board members with their online fundraisers;
- Support UVP in creating, editing, and sharing information about our programs in relevant external platforms and profiles;
- Collaborate with the in-country staff and Executive Director to post to UVP social media sites and our website;
- Proactively identify articles or information to share on UVP sites regarding international development, public health, or other areas of interest to UVP donors and supporters; and
- Assist with drafting and publishing the monthly email newsletter, quarterly reports, and annual report.
About Uganda Village Project: UVP was formed in 2003 with the mission to facilitate community health and well-being in rural Uganda through improved access, education, and prevention. We operate specifically in Iganga district, rural eastern Uganda. The board members and executive directors are based in the U.S., with the rest of the staff on location in Iganga.
Time Commitment: 2-4 hours per week
Duration: Long-Term (1 year+)