A Garden’s Volunteer works as a part of Heifer Ranch’s Ag Team to grow mixed vegetables using organic standards on a multi-acre garden plot for Heifer USA. Gardens volunteers operate as a part of a team to perform tasks related to propagation, transplanting, plant and soil health, and food-safe harvest procedures.
Position Title: Gardens Volunteer
• Must be at least 18 years of age by starting date of volunteer service.
• Must pass background check.
• Must be fluent in the English language and possess excellent verbal & written skills.
• Must complete required orientation & training and uphold all policies & procedures.
• Must have a valid driver’s license.
• Ability to perform as an effective team member and work cooperatively & positively with a diverse group (gender, age, religion, ethnicity, etc.) of participants & co-workers.
• Ability to follow procedures, expectations & rules, with or without direct supervision.
• Willingness & ability to share housing (including room) with a diverse group of other Heifer Ranch volunteers and participate in the household community including housekeeping chores.
• Must have good agility and be able to perform a variety of physical tasks including the ability to frequently lift 50+ pounds, work leaned over or kneeling, stand on feet for long periods of time, and work outdoors in all types of weather (hot/humid summers and cold/wet winters). The work is hard, sometimes heavy, and frequently repetitive.
• Previous gardening and/or horticultural experience desired.
• A working knowledge of: organic vegetable crop production, cultivation, pest control, soil fertility, irrigations systems, safe operating skills of farm equipment and machinery, is preferred.
What we provide:
• Residential Housing – fully-furnished, climate-controlled, communal
• Linens, towels, blankets and other bedding supplies
• Household Supplies (cleaning products, toilet paper, laundry detergent, trash bags, etc.)
• Living Allowance Reimbursement Stipend ($14 per day in residence)
• Access to the Community Van (shared vehicle) for errands off-site
• Ranch-issued bicycle for on-site use
A Garden’s Volunteer works as a part of Heifer Ranch’s Ag Team to grow mixed vegetables using organic standards on a multi-acre garden plot for Heifer USA. Gardens volunteers operate as a part of a team to perform tasks related to propagation…