Reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer (he’s landed press coverage with major media outlets) and working closely with team members in marketing and fundraising, this role will allow you to use your superior PR and communications skills to lead and assist with a number of strategic public relations activities to drive media attention and expanding awareness of our brand and mission across channels — internally, locally, nationally, and internationally.
- Coordinating and assisting with a range of public relations, media outreach and internal communications and promotional campaigns.
- Developing and implementing strategic PR plans, campaigns, and strategic pitches to target digital and print media.
- Conducting market and media research, then applying findings to campaigns, projects, and materials.
- Creating and maintaining accurate, up-to-date media lists, publication databases, media kits, and PR reports.
- Monitor publications for related industry news and trends; compile regular news roundups for staff
- Identify relevant speaking opportunities, event appearances, and awards programs to increase visibility and engagement; and manage and coordinate the submission process and timeline.
- Track all media coverage and mentions sourcing online, print, and broadcast clips.
Every effort has been made to identify the essential functions of this position. However, this position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you may be required to perform. The omission of specific descriptions of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or can be considered essential to this position.
- Add positions consulted for this role, both internal and external. Also include direct reports, if any, and level of supervision.
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Journalism, or English.
- 2+ years of public relations and communications experience in a nonprofit, agency, or media environment.
- Strong interpersonal, relationship-building, and public speaking skills.
- A grasp of (or interest in learning more about) the fields of education, e-learning, and international development.
- Solid fact-checking and proofreading skills.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Experience working remotely as part of a small team.
- Experience working in a start-up company, non-profit or entrepreneurial environment.
- Self-directed and disciplined with the ability to work independently in an ever-changing environment.
- Prior nonprofit or media experience a BIG plus.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Teams and SharePoint.
Why volunteer with us?
We are a community of people from different parts of the world who share a common belief in improving education which will eventually reduce poverty and improve the quality of life and living conditions globally. Volunteering with us will enable you to build your resume and gain invaluable experience in a supportive environment.
- In the USA, School Group is a Certifying Organization, offering the President’s Volunteer Service Award (PVSA) to eligible volunteers.
- School Group will provide a letter of recommendation to all volunteers who are able to showcase outstanding performance for professional references.
This is a volunteer position. There will be no financial compensation. Our organization is 100% volunteer-run. We welcome volunteers located anywhere in the world, as long as they can connect reliably to the internet.