The Blockchain & Climate Institute (BCI) is an international volunteers-led think tank supporting and advocating the application of blockchain technology in the global fight against climate change.
What will you be doing?
We are looking to recruit a couple of highly motivated and enthusiastic volunteers serving as Web Designers or Developers. Working with IT Support Officers and other Web Developers, you will also be given exposure to our projects on blockchain, artificial intelligence and other emerging digital technologies under development.
The ideal candidates will be responsible for providing frontline web support for the BCI. As part of the Technology Officer Grade, the Web Developers will be responsible for designing, developing and maintaining BCI's new website. The successful candidates will also be required to test new products, run regular maintenance checks and keep abreast with information security issues.
Key responsibilities would include:
- Planning and prototyping new applications
- Designing the architecture of the components of an application
- Deciding on the best technologies and languages for the project
- Testing sites and applications in different browsers and environments
- Problem-solving by fixing bugs in existing projects
- Testing new features thoroughly to ensure they perform the correct task in all cases
- Running performance benchmarking tests
- Reviewing colleagues' code
- Building and testing Application Program Interfaces (APIs) for applications to exchange data
- Researching and incorporating to Open Source projects
- Meeting designers, developers and project staff for progress updates
- Gathering requirements from clients and users
- Learning and testing new technologies, frameworks and languages
- Staying up-to-date with new trends and advancements in web development
- Building and maintaining databases
- Carrying out code refactoring and optimisation of existing code
- Documenting code, so other developers can understand and contribute to it
- Designing information architecture within an application or website.
What are we looking for?
Skills and abilities
- Technical knowledge in areas such as client-side components, server-side languages, web application frameworks and database management systems
- Experience with version control systems, and a thorough understanding of the architecture of web applications and web security and encryption
- Attention to detail
- A logical approach to problem-solving
- The ability to work independently and in mixed teams
- Experience of development methodologies (such as Agile and Waterfall)
- The ability to manage a complex range of tasks and meet deadlines
- Good communication skills
Education & Training
A good degree in one of the following subjects:
- Computer science
- Software engineering
- Web design and development
Additional courses will be beneficial to the role: BTEC (Edexcel) National Certificate and Diploma IT Practitioners, City & Guilds (E-Quals) IT Practitioners Certificate and Advanced Diploma and OCR (iPRO) Certificate for IT Practitioners.
- Proven experience in web development is essential;
- Experience of building constructive relationships wi th stakeholders; and
- Experience of working independently and with teams to drive forward projects using own initiative.
What difference will you make?
Blockchain and other emerging technologies. Climate change and sustainability. These are two hot topic groups that have been headlining media outlets, dominating conferences & events, and gaining increasing traction in research and pilot projects. BCI is here as an expert platform to help governments, inter-governmental and regional organisations as well as relevant corporates to negotiate the complex landscape of emerging technologies for environmental good. We cement our expertise by putting in the hard work in researching, identifying and analysing the applications of emerging technologies so that informed decisions can be made by the stakeholders in the climate change and action network.
What's in it for the volunteer?
Benefits you will get from volunteering with BCI are enormous and some include:
- Your mind will be mentally stimulated, hence providing you with a sense of purpose;
- You will advance and boost your professional career by helping you to make professional connections and giving you real-world experience at the intersection between climate and emerging technologies; and
- Help you develop long-lasting professional relationships with others. People who come together to make the world a better place forge a close connection.