We are seeking a compatible Board Secretary for an initial 1-2 year term with an option to be elected to any number of consecutive 3-year terms. Our Secretary will foster communications of the board of directors and ensure proper management and utilization of important organizational records. The position reports to the Board of Directors. In addition to the board commitment, we anticipate the position to require approximately 5-10 hours per month. We are open to a remote candidate, but the position would require in-person attendance at our Annual Board Retreat.
BOARD PARTICIPATION EXPECTATIONS
Board members are expected to attend all quarterly meetings. Board attendance relates directly to board participation and to the success of the organization. Our goal is to create a board culture that ‘leads by example’ through engagement of creative ideas, active communication, strategic planning and project execution. Board members have cultivated their personal ‘why’ of their participation in this organization and hold an understanding of the sensitivities of our target population. Board members have engaged in mindfulness or some form of conscious awareness practice and values laws of attraction and manifestation principles.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Be an active conduit for communication between the board of directors, advisory board and management by giving proper notice of any meetings and timely distribution of materials, such as agendas and meeting minutes.
Scheduling, Notice and Materials:
- Know and comply with notice requirements.
- Schedule meetings to accommodate the directors.
- Be responsible for scheduling board meetings, ensuring the adequate number of meetings are held per year, in accordance with the bylaws.
- Prepare and send materials in advance of the meetings for each director to review such materials, correct any errors and prepare questions and comments.
- Make any necessary corrections and additions to the materials prior to the board meetings.
Minutes of Meetings:
- Act as the secretary of all meetings of the Board.
- Record minutes of meetings to memorialize chronology of key information, i.e. board actions, election of directors and certain reports from EMS management.
- Be well-equipped to record accurate minutes, be aware and sensitive to any special or confidential information discussed at meetings.
Maintenance of Corporate Records:
- Be responsible for maintaining accurate documentation and meeting legal requirements, i.e. annual filing deadlines.
- Be responsible for updating a calendar of filing deadlines, i.e. Secretary of State, the Attorney General, California Franchise Tax Board, and the Internal Revenue Service.
- Be responsible for reviewing and updating documents as necessary and ensuring all electronic documents are safely stored and readily accessible for inspection by directors.
- Ensure the Corporate Handbook stored at the corporation’s principal office is updated and matches the electronic documents.
- Understand how the organization functions under nonprofit law under tax-exempt status
- Experience with MS office: Word and Excel
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of the organization’s bylaws.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and strategic directions
- Maintains overall personal health; uses Complementary and Integrative Health.
- Sensitive to the issues of women diagnosed with and healing from cancer
BOARD MEETING SCHEDULE
- Q1 Annual Board Retreat: Jan|Feb (in-person attendance required)
- Q2 Board Meeting: Apr|May: (zoom or in-person, TBD)
- Q3 Board Meeting: Jul|Aug: (zoom or in-person, TBD)
- Q4 Board Meeting: Oct|Nov: (zoom or in-person, TBD)
- Monthly Board Meetings during initial 1 to 2 year term: (required, zoom)
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume and reflect on the following questions for our discovery meeting:
- What your personal 'Why' for wanting to volunteer with our organization?
- Do you have an experience with mindfulness or another self-awareness practice? If so, please briefly describe.
- Describe any experience you hold with women and cancer, include your understanding of the sensitivities of this population.
Accepted formats: PDF, RTF, Word or Google Docs.