This is a year-long position in a fun, dynamic and busy home for women and children. You would be responsible for coordinating the house needs on weekends.
All are welcome to apply. People of color, people who are transgender, women, people who are bilingual in Spanish/English, people from New Orleans and the deep South, and people with experience with intentional community are especially encouraged to apply.
The most important role is to help provide a safe, clean home with residents that embodies a welcoming and peaceful spirit. This is done by working shifts where you help make Hagar's House a cleaner, safer, more beautiful space for women and children in New Orleans.
Some duties while on shift include:
- Being present! This includes your physical presence at Hagar's House for the duration of your shift, as well as being mentally and compassionately present with residents, coworkers and other members of the Hagar's House community
- Ensuring the daily upkeep of the house, including cleaning, physical maintenance, improvements and helping to make sure Hagar's House feels like a home
- Ensuring that community guidelines are upheld
- Acting as mediator for conflict
- Welcoming and coordinating short-term volunteers
- Answering phone calls and providing holistic resources to callers
- Supporting Hagar’s House residents with resource assistance, coordination, and referrals
- Assisting with children’s programming
- Assisting residents with resume writing and job searches
- Helping at a few fundraisers and/or with organizational needs (like newsletter stuffing “parties” with residents a few times/year)
- Coordinating holistic health and social justice programs: i.e. community meals, house meetings, knitting, sewing, kids group, music circle, crocheting, art, photography, gardening, nutritional consulting, poetry, movement/dance, conversations on race, conversations on gender, cooking, bike maintenance, reading group, etc.
- Three weekly 7 hour house shifts, mostly weekend afternoons and nights
- Weekly meetings/check-ins on some Monday mornings.
- Occasionally staying late in emergency situations and/or coming in to support others.
- You will be the main person coordinating the needs of the house on weekends. Others may call you for support on the weekends outside of the above hours.
- A few special events, fundraisers and trainings that will fall on various days of the week throughout the year.
- 18-yrs old or older
- Enjoys working with children
- Enjoy cleaning, organizing and home improvement projects
- Displays maturity, ability to creatively solve problems, responsibility, trustworthiness, strong sense and understanding of social justice & advocacy, power & privilege, gender, systemic sexism, racism, classism, and a familiarity with New Orleans.
- Shared housing onsite (private bedroom, communal bathroom, shared kitchen), near Canal Street car line and Bayou St. John in beautiful Mid-City. All utilities included.
- Monthly stipend of $700
- Training and experience
HOW TO APPLY:
Please read carefully and follow the instructions below. We will not be able to reply to applications that do not include all 3: a resume, cover letter/email, and references. Please send an email to hagarshouse (at) gmail (dot) com with:
- Subject: "House Weekend Coordinator 2021"
- Your resume
- A short cover letter or email containing the following:
- A short paragraph on why you are interested in Hagar’s House and why living onsite sounds enjoyable to you;
- A note stating that weekends work for you; and
- A note stating if you can begin training Sept 1 and if not, when you can.
- Three references. Include each reference's name and contact info (phone and email), your relationship, and the amount of time they have known you. One can be a personal or academic reference but the other two should be supervisors from previous work or significant volunteer experience.
- Deadline: Rolling until position is filled. However, we will start interviews after July 31.