Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
Director of Convention Operations
Positions Reporting To This One
Exhibitor Services Coordinator
GeekGirlCon’s Exhibitor Services Manager maintains and establishes new contacts with different vendors and exhibitors. The Exhibitor Services Manager needs to be self motivated, high spirited, have great verbal and written communication skills, and proficient knowledge of Excel to maintain specific reports.
- Determines how many and what types of Exhibitor and Sponsorship tables we can support, while making sure all exhibitors are a good match for our mission statement. Works with the Executive Director and/or marketing where necessary to screen vendors.
- Screen and approve Exhibitor applications.
- Provides monthly reports to Director of Con Ops regarding Exhibitor Applications review, Contracts and Payment progress.
- Collaborate with Exhibitor Services Coordinator on GeekGirlConnections
- Coordinate with Registration and Admissions Manager on the number of Exhibitor Passes needed.
- Responds to all exhibitor requests/questions in a timely manner.
- Creates booth layout/map for Exhibitor Hall and calculates the maximum occupancy of the room.
- Coordinates with Director of Con Ops to ensure layout meets requirements of WSCC and Triumph.
- Maintains Exhibitor Contact spreadsheet, which includes the number of passes, tables, and vendor information for each vendor/exhibitor/artist alley.
- Tracks all contracts sent out and/or received. Follows up with interested exhibitors with outstanding contracts to determine status of contract and payment as tables start to fill up.
- Maintains a waiting list after tables have filled.
- Informs final exhibitors about table placement, booth amenities/restrictions, verifies pass count, and communicates day of convention detail (setup times, breakdown times, etc.) through email.
- Coordinates exhibitor signage, exhibitor maps and table placement with Design Team under the Design Team’s deadline.
- Coordinate with web team to update GeekGirlCon website with convention exhibitor information as vendors are confirmed.
- Works with Director of Operations to set annual departmental sub-budget.
During the convention:
- Supervises Exhibitor Hall.
- Makes sure tables have been properly set up by venue and immediately handles any issues that arise.
- Sets up vendor signage.
- Checks in vendors. This includes handing out vendor packets and badges and taking payment for additional vendor badges.
- Keeps records of number of passes sold and provides counts to the Registration and Admission Manager.
- Prepares deposit log for Accounting.
- Supervises and trains volunteers working in the vendor room.
- Provide guidance for vendors during load-in and load-out.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have strong critical thinking and communication skills.
- Strong negotiation, mediation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Proficient at Excel.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Ability to do job duties with minimal direct supervision.
- Comfort with dealing with a variety of personality types
- Retail experience – having familiarity with vendor experience would be good
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- Minimum commitment to this volunteer position of at least two convention cycles.
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance in-person or remotely for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 5-7 hours of work per week is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- Must be able to volunteer Friday, Sunday, and Saturday during the convention.
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!