EMBARC is in search of a Communications Coordinator who will be responsible for managing the communications and marketing of RISE AmeriCorps through website, newsletters, social media, and blog.
The Ethnic Minorities of Burma Advocacy and Resource Center (EMBARC) is a grassroots organization founded by refugees from Burma in 2011 to help refugees through advocacy, community development, and education. EMBARC was founded on the belief that sustainable change can only come from within a community that is empowered to help themselves. EMBARC’s RISE AmeriCorps serves refugee families in need from any country by removing barriers while building leadership. RISE AmeriCorps supports refugee communities across Iowa through culturally and linguistically appropriate case management, education, and direct service.
The start date is September 7, 2021 and end date is August 19, 2022, tentatively. This position requires 50 weeks at an average of 18 hours per week served Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm. This is a hybrid remote/in-person position based at EMBARC.
- Create original content EMBARC and RISE’s social media platforms through program highlights and resources relevant to the community
- Write blog posts for RISE members and supervisors
- Curate digital and print media such as email marketing campaigns, brochures, graphics, and flyers
- Perform content research as needed to produce program print and media content
- Update website content in a way that is consistent with RISE AmeriCorps branding
- Share personal success stories from RISE AmeriCorps host sites to use in marketing campaigns
- Participate in strategy meetings with communications team, graphic designers, and other staff
- Assist the communications team with other tasks as needed
- Collaborate and serve with a diverse team of staff, AmeriCorps members, volunteers, partner families, and community members
RISE AmeriCorps may require the member to engage in additional allowable activities that support the AmeriCorps program framework, and which help the program meet its goals as outlined in the approved AmeriCorps application. Under no circumstances will members be asked or allowed to perform prohibited activities.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or experience in education-related fields
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and social media platforms
- Interest and respect for different cultures with a commitment to social justice
- Ability to communicate effectively in English. Ability to communicate in a language of one of Iowa’s refugee communities is a plus, but not required
- Experience training or teaching adults, preferably across racial, cultural, class, & gender differences
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours, including occasional evenings and weekends
Terms of Eligibility
- Must be a US citizen or US national or a lawful permanent resident of the US
- Must be at least 17 years of age at the start of service
- Must have a high school diploma/GED or agree to obtain one before using the education award
- Pass a 3-point background check
AmeriCorps Member Benefits
- Annual living allowance of $8,250
- Education award of $3,172 upon successful completion of service term
- Student loan deferment or forbearance and waived interest payments on qualified federal student loans during term of service
- Free health care coverage, dental and vision included, plus access to mental health services
- Childcare assistance, qualification based on family income and operated outside of our program
- Paid professional development opportunities with options for mentoring from professionals
- Post-service job referrals through networking with community and state partners
Complete the application and submit your resume online at https://refugeeriseiowa.org/members.html