The Blockchain & Climate Institute (BCI) is an international volunteer-led think tank supporting and advocating the application of blockchain and other emerging technology in the global fight against climate change.
We are looking to recruit highly motivated and enthusiastic volunteers who will serve as Copy Editors in our External Affairs Bureau, working closely to our translation and communication teams.
The ideal candidates are driven and experienced in copy-editing and proofreading, for both the private and public sectors and looking to make a difference to international climate change governance. The successful candidates will have experience in delivering projects and following tight deadlines.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Proofreading text and correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors
- Verifying factual correctness of information, such as dates and statistics
- Checking text for style, readability, and adherence to editorial policies
- Arranging page layouts of photos, articles, and advertisements
- Rewriting text to improve clarity and readability
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent knowledge of English language, verbal and written;
- Knowledge of media production and communication;
- Competent in managing the main software packages;
- Excellent attention to detail and proactive attitude; and
- Ability to manage work schedule flexibly across the entire week.
General & Specialist Knowledge:
- Must be curious, creative, and knowledgeable about a broad variety of topics;
- Should be able to determine whether enough evidence exists to report on a story, and have a strong grasp of the ethics of certain stories;
- Ensure written work is error-free that it matches BCI publication's style;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Must be able to write clearly and with good logic, and ensure that content has correct punctuation, grammar, and syntax.
Education & Training:
- Educated to at least Bachelor’s degree level;
- Major in English language and literature, journalism and related disciplines desired.
- Proven experience working in a similar role is essential, ideally acquired in a not-for-profit or government body;
- Experience of working independently and with teams to drive forward projects using own initiative.