AdvocAid is seeking a new member for our Board of Trustees, who will specifically bring Organisational Development expertise to the team. AdvocAid’s Board supports the governance, growth, development, and impact of AdvocAid’s work in Sierra Leone. This is a really exciting time to join the Board, as we embark on supporting the team to deliver a new strategy, expanding our fundraising, and planning and taking AdvocAid to the next stage in its development.
The responsibilities for this role are two-fold:
- As a board member: To provide governance and oversight, work in an advisory capacity with the SMT, to steer the organisation, provide connections to funders, and support fundraising efforts.
- As the board member with Organisational Development experience: In addition to their wider role on the board, this new board member will bring their organisational development experience and expertise to provide guidance and advice on the smooth running of the board, organisation, and its activities, as well as helping to ensure a happy and fulfilled AdvocAid staff team.
The person specification includes:
- Passionate about AdvocAid’s work;
- Belief in, and commitment to uphold, AdvocAid’s values and approaches;
- An understanding of the role of a civil society organisation Board of Trustees;
- Strong experience in organisational development (OD) through holding specific OD based
- position/s within an NGO/charity, and/or providing OD support or consultancy to NGOs/charities, and/or having held a number of organisational management positions. It is desirable that your experience would include having worked within a small and growing NGO;
- Knowledge of, and interest in OD best practice including in some of these areas: governance; organisational leadership and management; strategy development and implementation; human resources, team management and capacity development; and the development of all organisational policies, systems and processes;
- Expertise in, and passion for improving organisational efficiency and effectiveness in practical, supportive and innovative ways;
- Ability to commit at least four hours per month in field of expertise, attend quarterly board meetings (2-3 hours each), and support the fundraising efforts of the organization; and
- Experience working in the Global South, ideally Sierra Leone or West Africa.
Please refer to the Job Pack on AdvocAid's website for a complete description of what you can expect from the role and what you will get in return for joining the board.