The Internet Society engages in a wide range of Internet issues, including policy, governance, technology, and development, and has 132 Chapters around the world. The San Francisco Bay Area Internet Society Chapter focuses on Internet access issues, diversity, and digital inclusion in California.
As a nonprofit 501(c)(3) entity, the SF Bay Area ISOC Chapter’s work is funded entirely by donations, sponsorships and grants and we rely on volunteers to carry out our day-to-day activities. We are now accepting applications for the upcoming 2020-2022 term of SF Bay ISOC’s Board.
Apply now to join a team of dedicated professionals committed to the common goal of bridging the digital divide.
Our mission is simple: The Internet is for Everyone.
- Member of the Board / Member Engagement & Outreach Chair: Plan and curate outreach and engagement events, meetups and conferences that may be of interest to the Chapter members.
- Member of the Board / Projects Chair: Define our projects roadmap, seek project partnerships, apply for grants from ISOC Foundation and various organizations and oversee the execution of the projects until completion.
- Member of the Board / Communication Chair: Assure strategic communications with the Chapter’s stakeholders via newsletter, website, social media, etc. and manage our branding / marketing.
- Member of the Board / Industry and Academic Chair: Establish relations / collaboration, secure sponsorships, corporate memberships and establish multi-year partnerships with local academic institutions and corporations.
- Member of the Board / Finance Chair: Responsible for the chapter’s financial health and reporting, minimum 3 years experience in finance/accounting/bookkeeping is required.
Applications can be submitted here by Jan 10th 2021.
The San Francisco Bay Area Internet Society Chapter’s Board Members work closely with the rest of the team in order to promote the Chapter’s mission and goals. Aside from a Board Member’s specific area of expertise and focus, Board Members contribute to Board and Chapter projects, work on Board and Chapter development and serve on Board committees as necessary.
- You must be a member of the SF Bay Area ISOC Chapter - it's free to join.
- You need to be passionate about the open Internet, online freedoms, and access for all.
- You will commit to serve for an initial two year term.
- You plan to work closely with the President and rest of the Board to administer the mission and vision of SF Bay ISOC Chapter and ISOC in California.
- You will actively engage in initiatives related to the strategic goals of the chapter, including maintaining active communication channels with other ISOC chapters, the local communities (i.e., corporations, government-related organizations, academia, and other related entities) and Internet organizations that include, ICANN, IETF, ARIN, IEEE etc.
- You can provide support to the President in the preparation, management, and facilitation of the monthly board meetings, including follow-up on the status of action items and preparation of the agenda and presentation content.
- You will support the Chapter’s business development initiatives to achieve continued sustainability, growth and stability for the Chapter and its Membership while working in close collaboration with the Chapter President, Board and Community.
Why Join the Board
- Contribute to furthering the Chapter goals and goals of the Internet Society and help to reinforce global Internet freedoms, access, security and policy development.
- Play an active role in shaping the activities and mission of your local Chapter in your local community.
- Build your leadership skills and gain valuable experience in multi-stakeholder community development.
- Expand your network and meet inspiring people working in the local, regional and global Internet ecosphere.
- Get to attend cool local, national and international events to represent the Chapter.