Description: Adoption counselors do the fantastically rewarding work of connecting our animals to loving guardians. This position requires a high level of consistency and professionalism, as you are entrusted with the ultimate responsibility - deciding if an adopter is well suited to care for our animals.
- Reports To: Foster and Adoption Manager.
- Location of Work: Remote.
- Schedule: Typically Weekdays/hours vary based on the number of animals in care and the availability of your peers.
- Time Commitment: Approximately 5-10 hours per/wk. We request a minimum of 3 months in this role.
- Adoption Process:
- Review applications, interview prospective adopters, and assess their suitability as a match.
- Reach out to screened applicants within 24 hours of receiving the application.
- Gather information about each pet’s personality, activity, needs, and medical clearance.
- Counsel potential adopters on our expectations, an animal’s behavior, and its specific needs.
- Make suggestions for an appropriate match, based on the unique needs of that pet.
- If you determine a given applicant is excellent, but not a match for the particular animal they applied for, attempt to transition them into our People Focused Adoption program.
- Verify the applicant’s veterinarian references and the residential pet policy of the applicant
- If necessary, work with the Foster parent and the applicant to schedule a meet & greet.
- Finalize the adoption process via our database system.
- Consistently maintain accurate data in the ShelterLuv adoption database.
- Work closely with the Adoption and Foster Manager, Application Coordinator, and peers.
- Respond to all emails, FB posts, and Slack messages in a timely and professional manner.
- Inform the foster and the applicant of how the adoption finalization process works
- Evaluate the adoption process and make suggestions for improvements.
Qualifications: Are you?
- A positive and professional teammate?
- An animal lover, committed to saving the lives of animals in need?
- An equally good people-person?
- Willing to learn about animal behavior and a variety of situations an adopter may encounter?
- An excellent communicator?
- Cool under pressure, able to calmly navigate high pressure situations?
- Able to engage in discussions with others about commitments.
- Extremely organized?
- Willing to gain a deep understanding of the adoption process?
- We prefer that you foster and/or adopt with our rescue.
- Willing to maintain open, honest, and frequent communications.
- Familiar with Google Sheets, Slack, and/or other administrative and data entry systems?
- Have access to a phone, computer, and internet access?
If this sounds like you, please help Louie’s Legacy achieve our Vision to help rescue more animals, more efficiently, by working in a positive, professional and collaborative way with our community.
Important note - All Louie’s Legacy volunteers with access to internal communications, financial information, or personally identifying information must also:
- be over 18 years old.
- Commit to demonstrating the values outlined in our Organizational Cultural Agreement.
- Sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement in order to maintain a safe and responsible relationship with our volunteers, donors, fosters, and adopters.