Experts predict above-normal hurricane season; season runs June-November.
Expectations 13-19 named storms, 6-10 hurricanes, and 3-6 major hurricanes. The Shelter Service Associates is a temporary position assigned to work in person in a Red Cross shelter.
SHELTER SERVICE ASSOCIATE - What Is It?
- Work in person at a Red Cross mass care shelter before, during and/or after a disaster
- Support day-to-day activities in reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information collection, etc.
- Provide compassionate customer service while observing all safety protocols in a COVID environment
- Must be 18 years or older
- Ability to build effective relationships with co-workers and shelter residents
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Physical ability to stand and/or walk for extended periods, including climbing stairs and can lift/transport supplies up to 20 pounds multiple times per shift
- Completion of volunteer application (including background checks) and self-paced online training
- Immediate availability to leave within 24 hours
- 14-day deployment
- Red Cross covers flights and expense of one checked bag; must be able to carry everything you pack!
- Provided Mission Card (personal charge card) to cover approved expenses
- Deployment arrival: “in process” with Staff Services
- Lodging: No roommates (practicing social distancing) but expect to change rooms often and/or stay at shelter
- Focus on client; be kind, flexible, and proactive; offer and ask for help; take care of yourself and each other
- ALWAYS represent Red Cross professionally
How to get started