Description: This position serves the important role of transporting animals to their new foster homes, to vet appointments, or rescue missions from a shelter. Our transport volunteers are some of our most important supporters because you’ll be one of the first friendly faces these animals see on their way to their new lives.
Reports To: Intake and Medical Manager.
Must Have: Valid driver’s license.
Schedule and Time Commitment:
- Various lengths, ranging from short 30-60 min local hops to longer, interstate rescue transports.
- This is a very important part of rescue and numerous people and animals will depend on you.
- These are ongoing opportunities.
- New York: Various other locations throughout the Metro area, and between our shelter partners.
- Ohio: Various other locations throughout the Tri-state area.
- Provide safe and comfortable transportation for animals.
- Use of your own vehicle, valid driver’s license, and current insurance and registration.
- Reimbursements for tolls are available upon request (with receipt) or, cost is a tax-deductible donation to a 501(c)3.
- Larger interstate rescue transports may sometimes use the Louie’s Legacy vehicle instead.
- Animals should be double leashed, and you should be prepared to mitigate things such as fear, aggression, and flight risks.
Qualifications: Are you?
- A positive and professional teammate?
- An animal lover, committed to saving the lives of animals in need?
- An equally good people-person?
- An excellent communicator?
- Cool under pressure, able to calmly navigate high pressure situations?
- Experienced with animal behavior?
Physical requirements for events:
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs., carrying cages/kennels carefully.
- Heavier animals should be lifted with assistance.
- Working closely with animals to load and unload.
- If you have any physical limitations, please inform the Intake and Medical Manager.
If this sounds like you, please help Louie’s Legacy achieve our Vision to help rescue more animals, more efficiently, by working in a positive, professional and collaborative way with our community.
Important note - Must be over 18 years old to volunteer. All Louie’s Legacy volunteers with access to internal communications, financial information, or personally identifying information must also:
- Commit to demonstrating the values outlined in our Organizational Cultural Agreement.
- Sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement in order to maintain a safe and responsible relationship with our volunteers, donors, fosters, and adopters.