Volunteer in Peru, Women’s Rights Support Program - Cusco has one of the highest rates of domestic violence reported throughout Peru, as it is estimated about 80 thousand Cusco women have been affected by some type of violence. Volunteer with a local grassroots organization in Cusco Peru which offers ambulatory care and temporary shelter to women and children escaping a life of abuse. Help make an impact by volunteering for women's empowerment and women's right in Cusco Peru. By spending your time supporting women and girls in need, you can help them towards a better future.
Specific Objectives of the Project
- Provide psychological and legal assistance of excellence to women who suffer from violence to offer them better quality of life in their family and social environment.
- Develop training, awareness and prevention activities on human rights, types of violence and abuse, self-esteem and values.
- The Women’s shelter provides services to 40-50 woman and children on a yearly basis, with most staying 2-3 months at a time. Woman and their children, survivors of domestic violence and sexual abuse, receive medical care, educational and psychological support services. The shelter has a holistic approach offering classes and therapy focused on intervention, prevention, education and empowerment. The center provides educational creche classes for the young children living at the shelter with their mothers. Body and mind strengthening focus has volunteers helping in areas of dance workshops, sports, recreational walks, and cooking workshops. Volunteer also help with the ongoing agricultural projects: weeding and soil preparation for growing vegetables, medical herbs, aromatic plants etc.
- Project length:From 1 week to 12 weeks
- Project dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive.
- Arrival airport: Cusco (CUZ)
- Accommodation: Local host family
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Requirements: Medical placements require a $50 donation for projects ranging 1-3 weeks. $100 donation for programs lasting one month or longer. Donations must be made in cash, paid locally on day one of the project.
- Program starts and ends in Cusco
- Airport meet and greet in Cusco. Afternoon city tour and orientation
- Monday to Friday volunteering. 40 hours per week
- Weekends free to sightseeing
- Typical shift work hours are 8am-12pm and 2pm-6pm
- Support: Local ABV Director support 24/7 during placement
- Departure: ABV Staff Escorted Airport Transfer
- Flights to Peru. Visas and/or entry-exit fees. Vaccinations. Local Transportation. Travel & Health Insurance. Laundry and Internet