Surfrider Foundation Vancouver is seeking a highly organized and proactive Events Director volunteer to join its executive committee.
If you are passionate about protecting Vancouver’s iconic coastline, we want to hear from you! We are the Vancouver Chapter of the Surfrider Foundation, a global environmental non-profit organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of oceans, waves and beaches, for all people, which is enacted through a powerful activist network
The Events Director is a detail-oriented, passionate and reliable individual with strong leadership abilities and time management skills. The main responsibilities include overseeing the Events Team, organizing monthly events, data collection, recycling management and overall chapter development. The Events Director works closely with the Executive Committee, Events Team and external organizations to execute successful monthly events.
- Organize logistics and communication of monthly events
- Manage the Events Team (Events Leads, Recycling Lead, Equipment Lead) by recruiting and training team members as well as distributing tasks. This includes setting meetings, creating agendas and providing feedback to the committee.
- Ensure events support campaign goals, meet with campaign committees to best understand how events can serve victories that Surfrider Vancouver is seeking to attain.
- Oversee the collection of beach cleanup data and enactment of recycling management policies
- Act as a spokesperson at events and with the media
- Develop annual plan for events that align with chapter goals
- Contribute to monthly Executive Committee meetings for overall chapter management
- Communicate effectively with other Surfrider Vancouver teams, ensuring emails are answered within reasonable turnaround times.
- Connect with other Surfrider chapters to provide consistent updates
- Create and update various documents for the chapter (role descriptions, event details)
- Consistently update Slack channels and Google Drive
- Coordinating events with partners, and ensuring partners as well as sponsors are recognized in media
- Connect to the media team to promote and publicize events, including the collaboration with the design/graphics team for the creation of promotional materials.
- Ensure compliance with insurance, legal, health and safety obligations
- Obtaining insurances & permits for events
- Working with treasurer for budgets and fundraising
The Events Director is a member of the Executive Committee with the following commitments:
- Volunteer commitment of 4 - 8 hours per week
- Attend chapter Executive Committee meetings (one per month)
- Attend chapter events (one to two per month)
- Attend Surfrider Canada conferences (one per year)
- Receives a Surfrider kit: tee shirt/swag
- Provided opportunities to remote travel, attend conferences
- Receiving letters of support, LinkedIn reviews, etc.
- Development of personal profile: volunteering for Surfrider EC is an impressive addition to a resume
- Training and mentorship for role; including Surfrider University, wilderness first aid, media
- Volunteer expenses reimbursed according to SF expenses policy
- Volunteer appreciation awards, cultivation of friends, healthy food provided for events/meetings
- Fulfillment and Gratification!
To find out more about Surfrider Vancouver, visit vancouverbc.surfrider.org.
We thank you in advance for your application. Only those considered for the position will be contacted for an interview.