Non-communicable diseases (NCDs) are the leading cause of death and disability, globally — yet there continues to be an underinvestment in action and financing.
The Health Finance Institute (HFI) is a global-health 501(c)(3) start-up working to change this. We are on a mission to develop tailored financing solutions that generate the greatest impact by using, translating, and analyzing evidence to prioritize and educate investments for foundations, funders, and investors. We aim to use catalytic capital investments for NCDs and fuel financial and economic returns, as well as social and health gains in the short- and long-term. We are global health and blended finance specialists that work with the private sector, countries, financial partners, and international organizations to develop partnerships between the public and private sector to address the NCD financing gap.
We are seeking diverse leaders excited to continue and accelerate the groundbreaking work of the Health Finance Institute. The Executive Board Member will be part of HFI’s Board of Directors. The Board of Directors is the governing body of HFI, and is responsible for providing oversight of governance and operations, legal compliance, public interest, and fundraising.
Duties or Responsibilities:
Performance and financials
- Review and approve annual budget
- Review and approve auditor’s annual reports and financials including the 990
- Conduct performance review of CEO and other key executives on an annual basis
- Review KPIs
- Engagement in capital campaigns and representing the organization during specific activities such as event hosting and bespoke fundraising activities
- Review and approve amendments to bylaws, articles of incorporation, and any other legal documents or policies (e.g. Employee Handbook, Accounting Policies, etc.)
- Write policies for conflict of interest, self-dealing, performance, etc.
- Review any breach of the bylaws and polices
- Approve major (e.g., six-figure) contracts with external parties
- Review and approve plans for reorganization, asset sales and acquisition, major gifts, and major financing
- Review and approve major changes in benefits or compensation for top executives and all staff
- Discharge and replace board members
- Support core team, contractor, technical advisory board, and senior advisory board recruitment
- Approve major changes to HFI’s name and office address
- Keep records of all board activities and decisions
What we are looking for:
- Experienced leaders in their respective field with previous non-profit executive board experience
- Leaders in their field, passionate about sustainable growth of HFI in the global health space, including previous experience in fundraising and growing organizations from single-million dollar to double-digit million dollar annual budgets
- Experience in raising six-figure or higher contributions to non-profits in the social impact sector
- Familiarity with innovative finance and capital for social good trends
- Individuals passionate about the work we do and motivated to advance our mission by contributing talents and expertise such as: finance, IT, fundraising, strategic planning, marketing, human resources, real estate, legal, business, management, and public relations.
- Individuals that understand and adhere to fiduciary duties and legal responsibilities such as Duty of Care, Duty of Loyalty, and Duty of Obedience
- Individuals able and committed to attending bi-annual meetings (60 minutes each, roughly every six months), and/or when significant decisions need to be made
- Individuals that act in a manner that conforms to the organization’s Conflict of Interest and NDA Policies
- Individuals who contribute to and support an environment of mutual respect