SAORI ARTS NYC (SANYC) is a 501(c)(3) organization with a mission to inspire creativity, joy and self-confidence through free style weaving for people of all ages with intellectual, developmental, or physical disabilities or chronic illness. We fulfill our mission by partnering with organizations that provide programs and services to this segment of our community.
SAORI (SA, Zen meaning everything has its own dignity and ORI, Japanese for weaving) is recognized as a healing art form around the world, unique in its philosophy that in every weaving there are no mistakes, only its own expression of individual beauty.
SAORI Arts NYC believes that:
● All individuals deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.
● All communities and activities must be inclusive, equitable, and accessible to people of every background and ability.
● Everyone has an inherent sense of beauty, unique sensibilities, and the intrinsic ability to create.
● Everyone has the right to experience the joy and emotional well-being of making art.
We are a young, rapidly growing NPO recruiting diverse board members who will enjoy a role in determining our future. You will be joining a group of highly dedicated and motivated volunteers, advisors and teaching artists who have created workshops, both virtual and in person, webinars and artist talks that have broadened our reach. To learn more, click here www.saoriartsnyc.org to visit our website and read our 2021 Annual Report.
Board Candidate Qualifications
SAORI ARTS NYC is seeking board members who will provide guidance and essential governance services to sustain the mission, vision and values of SANYC. The Board would particularly benefit from the participation of members with experience in the arts; the healthcare field including the impact of chronic illness and disabilities in both children and adults; marketing/public relations; foundation/corporate philanthropy; finance; law.
General Board Member Responsibilities -
Each Board member will
● Commit to serve a three- year term on the SANYC Board with opportunity for term renewal.
● Work with the President to create strategic direction and set short- and long-term goals.
● Commit to $2,000 board dues or a donation that is comfortable for you.
● Provide access to resources, i.e., individuals, corporations, foundations, and support solicitation activities with these resources.
● Be informed about the organization’s mission, services, challenges, and opportunities.
● Serve as advocate and ambassador. Be an active and creative force internally and externally in advancing SANYC’s mission and improving the effectiveness and strength of its programs.
● Attend four board meetings annually in addition to the Annual Board Retreat.
● Participate in one of the board’s working committees
o Education, Programs, Fundraising, Marketing, Partnerships
SAORI ARTS NYC (SANYC) is a 501(c)(3) organization with a mission to inspire creativity, joy and self-confidence through free style weaving for people of all ages with intellectual, developmental, or physical disabilities or chronic illness. We…