Supporting the Vision, Purpose, Values and Commitments of SODEI including program delivery that is centered around children and youth in Cameroon.
SODEI is seeking an innovative and passionate volunteer Director of Advocacy to oversee our advocacy team on a part-time basis. You will lead SODEI’s efforts in advocating for children and young people in Cameroon and Africa under our two thematic areas (education and participation) by supporting all areas of our policy and advocacy work. The role is a great fit for a senior level executive.
- Directs SODEI’s advocacy programs: With the advocacy team and in coordination with SODEI staff, identify SODEI’s advocacy goals; develop and lead implementation of global and country-level advocacy strategies; work with organizational partners and networks; ensure coordination among advocacy staff; and model good collaboration and communications with SODEI’s development and communications teams.
- Manages the advocacy team: Builds a cohesive team united around, achieving SODEI’s advocacy targets. Provides direction and technical guidance to advocacy team members; and supports their professional and technical development. Performs other management and administrative tasks as required.
- Participates in senior management team: Serves with other department heads on organizational leadership group, representing the interests of the whole. Participates in the development and implementation of organizational policies, practices and procedures. Ensures interdepartmental cooperation to optimize workflow.
- Participates in fundraising: Works cross-departmentally to create funding proposals for new and existing research; presents to donors and potential donors.
- Serves as a public contact for SODEI’s research with media, donors and peers in national and international professional settings.
- Research and Advocacy: Keep abreast of developments across thematic areas and coordinate updates accordingly; coordinate the drafting and editing of releases for the organisation's website and newsletter; coordinate research on thematic area of focus leading to production of reports; collaborate with communication department in designing, planning and implementing advocacy strategy and campaigns.
We are looking for
- Proven experience developing and delivering advocacy strategies or campaigns, preferably with a youth focus.
- Experience working in developing countries to support youth-led local and national level advocacy
- Experience advocating on child rights and an understanding of how to translate core children’s rights principles to advance the cause for children and young people.
- Familiarity with current debates on education in emergencies, young people’s activism and political participation
- Practical knowledge of working directly with children and youth in participatory ways including writing and presenting complex subject matters in accessible language
- Strong communication skills and the ability to articulate approaches and concepts clearly will be imperative as will excellent collaboration and leadership capabilities.
- Experience in working collaboratively with other organisations or institutions to develop common positions;
- Fluency in English, including exceptional English writing skills with the ability to write for a variety of different platforms and audiences;
- Strong organisational skills, initiative and follow-through, ability to work independently, quickly, accurately and juggle multiple tasks;
- A graduate degree in Children and Youth, Childhood Studies, International Human Rights, Development Studies or related fields will be desirable.
Please note that this is a voluntary unpaid position. However, depending on funding available we may be able to contribute to cost of travel.
If the above opportunity is what you are looking for please contact us via email@example.com
Who We Are
Solidarity and Development Initiative (SODEI) is a registered non-for-fit organization whose mission is to inspire and engage children and young persons in Cameroon through innovative and creative methods of learning; and to create spaces and platforms to amplify young person’s voices and foster participation in youth and community development activities. Our work is carried through four core programs areas to include: Learn, Speak & Play (LESPLAY), Youth mentoring and leadership program, SODEI Book Club (Literacy Program) and the Girls Empowerment Program. SODEI was founded in 2018 in the wake of the conflict in the English-speaking regions of Cameroon and the devasting impact on the welfare and education of children and young persons within the region. SODEI currently operates programs in the Southwest region of Cameroon with a view to expand to other regions in the near future.