CONTEXT AND BACKGROUND
The garden is approximately 1 acre of cultivated land producing vegetables, fruits and herbs. We are currently in a sustainable development approach and are selling some of our products to eco- responsible hotels and restaurants. Anjali is looking for a volunteer gardener to assist and support our full-time garden volunteer and the Future Leaders Program Coordinator in a sustainable organic vegetable garden.
- General garden maintenance
- Seeding, planting, watering, digging, sowing, cleaning up litter and emptying bins
- Construction of simple garden structures (wood structures, compost bins)
- Improve our sustainable development program (reduce plastic use, reduce pesticide use, etc)
- Assist the children during their weekly gardening lessons
- Help them to garden
- Organize workshops related to nature (trees, flowers, insects of the garden) to increase their knowledge while practising English
- Expand our partnerships with hostels and restaurants to sell the products of our garden
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Ability to work with a team in labor intensive conditions especially during the hottest months (April-October).
- Manual labour skills
- Patience to work with a diverse group of children with a range of ability to communicate in English
- Understanding of our child protection policy
- Willing and able to live in a developing country with limited or different resources and standards of living
- Understanding and respect of Cambodian Culture
Minimum 2 months
- Volunteers and interns can apply to this mission
- The volunteer/intern must be covered by medical insurance for the duration of the mission
- The volunteer/intern shall not receive any remuneration and shall be responsible for covering all costs incurred during the mission as we do not have the capacity to pay for these allowances
- As this role will involve direct contact with children a criminal background check will be required
- We ask volunteers for a one-off donation of $250 to go into our general budget, which supports our programs. The $250 contribution is to offset administrative expenses for volunteers and serves as a general contribution to our NGO; a standard practice at most charities in Southeast Asia.
Note: The missions are general and can be changed according to to the current needs of the organisation.