Mission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.
Positions Reporting To This One
DIY Science Manager
STEM Talent Coordinator
The Director of Interactive Programming oversees the Gaming, DIY Science, STEM Talent and Activities sub-departments of GeekGirlCon. They, together with the Director of Panel Programming, ensure GeekGirlCon’s continual programming efforts, both for the annual convention and year-round activities. The Director of Interactive Programming ensures that all Gaming, DIY Science, STEM Talent and Activities meet GeekGirlCon’s mission statement and goals.
- Oversees and manages the Gaming, DIY Science, STEM Talent and Activities sub-departments to ensure all team members are able to complete tasks and meet deadlines. Provides additional assistance and resources when necessary.
- Works with sub-department managers to create and implement an annual budget.
- Runs departmental meetings.
- Sparks communication between the sub-departments and keeps everyone on track toward a common goal.
- Conducts yearly reviews of all Gaming, DIY Science, and Activities staff.
- Responsible for overseeing team growth including new hires and position changes.
- Serve as part of GeekGirlCon’s executive team in making sure that day-to-day goals are being met and long-term plans/visions put in place by the Board are continued.
- Develops strategic plan for cohesive programming and events that take into account GeekGirlCon’s mission, short-term and long-term goals, and the abilities of the team to execute programming and event ideas.
- Makes contacts and builds relationships in “geeky” and event-relevant community to improve programming and event objectives. Connects other staffers with those contacts for execution of projects.
- Experience running a team.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to delegate and follow-up.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style.
- Maintains discretion and professionalism when dealing with sensitive and confidential information and/or material.
- Event coordination and management skills/experience required.
- Project/Program management experience required.
What It Means to Volunteer as GeekGirlCon Staff
- GeekGirlCon staff positions are all volunteer, non-paid positions.
- Attendance in-person or remotely for staff and departmental meetings is required.
- Must maintain prompt and professional correspondence.
- Most work is conducted over email and with in-person meetings in the Seattle area.
- Between 10-15 hours per week of work is required for this role (including meetings, etc).
- The staff is a team of highly dedicated, geeky, and passionate volunteers; it’s a lot of hard work, but an amazing experience with lots of opportunity to help build GeekGirlCon for the future!