Project Description: Academy 4SC is an open source online resource for students who want to learn fundamental skills and concepts necessary to be effective civic leaders. The breadth of content covers psychology, philosophy, economics, global issues, history communication and rhetoric, and much more. Each topic will have an animated video, lesson plan, worksheet, and written overview.
Breakdown of Deliverables: There are four components that you need to develop for each topic (We have templates and samples for all four components (academy4sc.org)):
- Content Write-Up (Approx. 500-1000 words): Teach the topic in a blog post/article (The audience to keep in mind is 8th-10th graders. Each post should stand alone without any of the other posts.)
- Content Script (Approx. 5-10 minutes): A script for an animated video. You will take the write-up and just add notes in parenthesis on how an animator can illustrate the point.
- Lesson Plan (Approx. 45 minutes): Lesson plans to accompany the video so that teachers can just use the video without much effort in the classroom.
- Worksheet (Approx. 1-2 pages) for students to use after watching the video/reading the post/being taught by the teacher
Samples Topics: Here are some sample topics, and we have a large list of topics you can choose from once you start:
- Psychology: Stanford Prison Experiment, Confirmation Bias, Group Think, etc.
- Philosophy/Political Science: Scanlon’s Objections to Inequality, Different Theories of Justice, What is a Right, etc.
- Economics: Supply & Demand, Keynesian Economics, Prisoner’s Dilemma, Tragedy of the Commons, etc.
- Rhetoric: Ethos, Pathos, Logos, Enthymeme, Cacophony, etc.
- Logic: All/Any Fallacies, Deduction, Inductive Reasoning, etc.
- History: Martin Luther King Junior’s Speech, Boston Tea Party, Enlightenment Thinkers, Magna Carta
- Global Issues: Climate Change, Immigrations, SDGs, Human Rights, Democracy, Public Health
How It’s Used: After you are done with the above, the following four things will happen:
- Your content will be checked over and a voiceover will be recorded for the script you write
- The animator will create the animation based on the script and voiceover
- A graphic designer will create an infographic based on the write-up
- All of this will be uploaded to the site once it is live for everyone to access
Hourly Commitment: Approximately 10-20 hours depending on interest
Application: Please submit two topics you would work on, a writing sample, resume. and transcript to email@example.com.