Oxfam is a global movement of millions of people who share the belief that, in a world rich in resources, poverty isn't inevitable. We respond fast in emergencies, work on long-term projects with communities and campaign for genuine, lasting change. Our volunteers, staff and those we aim to influence are all guided by our values of empowerment, accountability and inclusiveness.
With a network of over 600 shops, our diverse volunteers play an integral role in championing Oxfam’s value, running the shops and promoting our life saving work to the wider community. Through the sales of donated goods and our ethical range of new products, Sourced by Oxfam, our shops raise millions of pound each year to fund our crucial work to end the injustice of poverty. Oxfam shops are at the forefront in campaigning for sustainable fashion and we are proud that no item of clothing donated to us finds its way to the landfill. Since it opened in 1974, all donated clothing items that do not sell in our shops are brought into our Wastesaver warehouse, where they are sorted and sent to various retail channels such as festival shops, specialist boutiques, Oxfam’s Online Shop or to our social enterprise project, Frip Ethique, in Senegal.
Why do we need you?
Our shops would not be able to raise crucial funds for Oxfam’s emergency and development work all over the world without our dedicated volunteers, who provide their time and bring multitude of skills. In return, we offer personal development, valuable insight into charity retail and a friendly environment to meet new people.
What are your key responsibilities?
Depending on the needs of the shop and your interest, you may be involved in the following:
• Using the shop’s guidelines to sort and price donated clothes, books, homewares etc.
• Providing customer service on the shop floor.
• Creating attractive displays across the shop.
• Promoting our Gift Aid scheme.
• Promoting our exciting sustainable fashion campaigns such as ‘Second-Hand September’.
• Listing items on our online channels including Oxfam’s Online Shop.
• Promoting our shops to the local community through social media.
What skills and experience are we looking for?
You do not need specific skills and experience but the following would be useful:
• Commitment to Oxfam’s values of empowerment, accountability and inclusiveness.
• Ability to work within Oxfam’s policies and shop guidelines.
• An interest in retail and customer service.
• Ability to work well as part of a team and under own initiative.
• Willingness to learn.
What will you gain from this opportunity?
• You will be joining thousands of volunteers who “won’t live with poverty”.
• Learn about Oxfam’s humanitarian, development and campaigning work.
• Opportunity to utilise and develop your portfolio of skills and experience.
• Gain valuable experience in retail at an international charity.
• Opportunity to gain nationally recognised NVQ qualifications in customer service, warehousing, retail and management.
• Lunch and local travel expenses can be reimbursed in line with Oxfam’s policy.
We will provide you with ongoing support and training throughout your volunteering:
• Full induction
• Health and Safety
• Role specific training e.g. till, Gift Aid, Oxfam online shop, etc.
If this is something that would appeal to you, you can submit your interest and someone will be in touch to discuss things further.
Thank you very much for your interesting in volunteering with us. We look forward to having you in our team.
Oxfam is a global movement of millions of people who share the belief that, in a world rich in resources, poverty isn't inevitable. We respond fast in emergencies, work on long-term projects with communities and campaign for genuine…
Once you submit your application, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity. Please note we do require two positive references prior to any volunteer starting.
Thank you very much for your interesting in volunteering with us. We look forward to having you in our team!