Experience the happiness and gratefulness of women who are learning to read and write with your help.
Help empower women through education, support and training. In Nepal child labour (especially of girls), domestic abuse, and sexual exploitation are common. Girls are kept illiterate, making them financially dependent on others. Volunteer Society Nepal has established a women centre where women can learn to read, write, learn math and more. We also give them skill training and empowerment workshops.
What does a volunteer do?
To develop the women’s groups, VSN involves you in the following volunteering activities in Nepal:
- English & Computer teaching: Teaching of English language and ICT is the most effective program taking place. Volunteers can create and deliver English and Computer lessons. VSN provides several reference books for this. The classes are divided into three categories: Basic, Intermediate and Advanced.
- Women’s support education: Present information to the members about relevant women’s issues in Nepal or globally.
- Health Education: Hold an educational program on home hygiene and family health.
- Grant Writing: Search for and apply to grant-making foundations that will support the planned activities at the Women’s Centre.
- Market analysis for potential projects: Conduct a market analysis of skills, products or services. Take steps towards making these income-generating activities.
- Do a value chain analysis for potential projects: Perform a value chain analysis for a viable industry, product or service. Determine how the members can fill roles from basic production to marketing and vending
- Business Training: Educate the women in the financing, accounting, or business development for the enterprise in question
Do I need any qualifications or skills to do this work?
It helps if you have some experience of teaching or giving workshops, but if you don’t have this, then being a pro-active and enthusiastic person is important.