Free Haven Community Initiative, Inc. (FHCI) is a registered Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) located in Livingstone Zambia that has four main areas of focus: Education, Health, Nutrition, and Empowerment.
In order for the Zambian NGO to be successful, a non-profit organization called Free Haven Community Initiative, Inc. was formed in America to assist its Zambian counterpart. By organizing fundraisers, processing donations, and handling marketing strategies, this partnership makes it possible for the Zambian-based NGO to carry out its day to day functions and focus on its primary goals.
The American non-profit is run by a board of directors. The people on this board volunteer their time to make the aforementioned tasks possible. In addition to the American team, the Zambian-based NGO has its own board of directors to manage the organization’s projects in Zambia.
To read more about us and our projects, visit fhcizambia.org
We are currently looking to fill the volunteer role of President on the American, non-profit board.
- Attend and lead regular board meetings and other meetings as required.
- Participate actively in board and related committee work honestly and thoughtfully.
- Work closely with the CEO to ensure that the board’s goals are aligned with the organization’s needs and that the organization’s activities are compliant and in furtherance of its mission.
- Lead the planning process for the organization and board, including the setting of annual goals and monitoring progress.
- Develop, implement, monitor, and assess the organization’s programs, financial management practices, and fundraising practices.
- Delegate projects and tasks to other board members as appropriate.
- Stay informed about board matters, prepare well for meetings, and review and comment on minutes, reports, and other documents.
- Lead and contribute to a positive board work environment and development of the team and organizational culture.
- Develop and maintain beneficial relationships with donors, funders, supporters, collaborators, allies, vendors, and other stakeholders.
- Collaborate with staff to cultivate and solicit grants and individual gifts.
- Participate in fundraising for the organization, working towards personally set goals.
- Act as a mentor to other board members to keep them accountable to their goals.
- Adhere to all board and organization agreements, rules, and bylaws.
- Accept additional tasks and projects, completing them thoroughly and on time.
- Champion the organization and advocate its mission to internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent communication skills (the board operates in English)
- Ability to lead a team and work collaboratively
- Sensitivity, understanding, and appreciation of diverse cultures
- Conflict management skills
- Business/non-profit management experience (>1 year)
- Project management/development experience
- Fundraising/fund development experience (nice to have)
- Prior board experience an asset
- Has spent 6+ months in Zambia or Southern Africa in the last 5 years
Good to Know
- We usually meet every two months for board meetings, usually in early afternoon EST (1.5-2 hour meetings is standard). We hope to move to every quarter for meetings.
- We have board members in west to east coast North America, Europe, and Zambia – some flexibility in meeting times is appreciated to accommodate everyone. We almost always meet on Sundays, sometimes Saturdays.
- We communicate using email and Facebook messenger. Our board meetings use Facebook group calls (audio only).
- We are a small, but mighty team all dedicated to the growth of the organization. There is lots of opportunity to take on projects that will allow you to grow your skills, experience, and personal goals while contributing to the organization’s goals.
- As we are a growing organization, we expect our board members to participate in fundraising and awareness campaigns.
Please send your resume and completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 31, 2021 at 8:00 PM (EST). Please note in the subject line what position you are applying to.