Uganda Village Project (UVP) is looking for an enthusiastic, dedicated volunteer to serve as Treasurer. Officers serve on a voluntary basis to support and guide our activities in the Iganga District of Uganda, where our public health programs serve rural communities.
The Treasurer is a voting Executive Board Member. Board positions are one-year renewable terms requiring approximately 2 hours per week. We hold monthly online board meetings and one annual in-person board meeting (usually in October).
- Enthusiasm, dedication to service, willingness to make a commitment for sustained involvement;
- Self-starters who can manage his/her own time and is comfortable being involved in a geographically diverse organization with most meetings and projects managed online;
- Previous board or nonprofit experience is a plus;
- Proven finance, accounting, or bookkeeping experience;
- Familiarity with Quickbooks is a must.
Executive Board Duties:
- Participate in monthly Executive Board member meetings (1 hour typically in the middle of the day ET);
- Participate in the annual in-person Executive Board member meeting;
- Vote upon important issues facing the organization, such as financial plans, project goals, changes in organizational structure, and fundraising strategies;
- Decide to pursue or establish an official relationship with an external organization;
- Maintain responsibility for how UVP is publicly presented;
- Maintain official UVP documents;
- Maintain appropriate contact with partner organizations;
- Take on short-term projects, when needed, and accomplish any additional administrative work;
- As the term concludes, the Board shall put out a call for officer applications and vote on the incoming Board members; and
- Raise or donate at least $1000 towards UVP’s work in Uganda.
- Review reconciliation reports and confirm both bank and fundraising accounts are in good standing order
- Review monthly finances and prepare treasurer report for board meetings
- Receive, record, and deposit checks
- Authorize payments as required
- Submit employee taxes and submit payroll (not currently applicable)
- Approve requested transfer amount and transfer funds from USD to UGX bank account
- Review budget versus actuals
- Assist with the production of a budget reforecast as necessary
- Prepare year-end financial statements for board approval (Feb/Mar)
- Complete and submit organizational tax documents including 1099-NEC (Jan), 990 EZ and FBAR (Mar/Apr)
- Assist in preparation of Annual Report (Apr/May)
- Submit state registration filing (Jun)
- Review financial objectives of strategic plan and prepare recommendations for improvements as necessary (Sep/Oct)
- Work with Board Chair, Executive Directors, and Fundraising Chair to develop annual budget for board approval (Oct/Nov)
- Reimburse officers, interns, and staff as needed with organizational funds
About Uganda Village Project: UVP was formed in 2003 with the mission to facilitate community health and well-being in rural Uganda through improved access, education, and prevention. We operate in Iganga district in rural eastern Uganda. The board members and Executive Directors are based internationally, with the remaining staff on-location in Uganda.
Time Commitment: 2 hours per week
Duration: Long-Term (1 year+)