Disaster Health Services Service Associate is a temporary position assigned to work in person before, during and/or after a disaster event this hurricane/wildfire season. Volunteers in this role provide assistance and healthcare to shelter residents as needed.
- Provide hands on care for shelter clients to include but not limited to assistance with activities of daily living, wound care, incontinence care, assistance with functional needs.
- Provide health education, health assessments and determination if a higher level of care is needed.
- Assist clients to replace medications, durable medical equipment or consumable medical supplies.
- Advocate for client needs with Disaster Health Services supervisor.
- Support maternal and child needs as necessary.
- Complete required virtual self-paced training for position (4 hours total)
Local: Multiple 4-, 6- or 12-hour shifts
Beyond region: Minimum of 14 days working 8- or 12-hour shifts
- A current, unencumbered license in at least one of the following professions:
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
- Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN)
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)*
- Medical Doctor (MD)
- Doctor of Osteopathy (DO)
- Physician Assistant (PA)
- Nurse Practitioner (NP)
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN)
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Willing and able to volunteer in person in a COVID -19 disaster shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event
- Availability to sign up for shifts on consecutive days (shifts may be 4, 8 or 12 hours long)
- Willing to complete 4 hours of virtual self-paced training required for position
Required (part of onboarding)
- Disaster Health Services Fundamentals 2 - WBT 1 hour
- Shelter Fundamentals v2 (includes Shelter Fundamentals Forms)- WBT 1 hour, 30 minutes or VILT 1 hour 30 min
- Everyone is Welcome - WBT 45 minutes or VILT 1 hour
- Congregate Sheltering Activities in COVID-19 Environment - VID 20 minutes
Total Training Time: 3 hours 35 minutes or 3 hours 50 minutes
Additional Training Requirements for SAs and SV s willing to deploy outside their region
- Deployment Fundamentals - WBT 30 min
- Mission Cards - Cardholder Overview - VID 15 min
Total Training Time: 45 min minutes