There is a very clear and pressing need for additional support for Greater Houston's foster care community. We are looking for 1-2 hard-working individuals to join our volunteer team and help manage the day-to-day tasks that keep our programs running, expanding and serving our families and youth.
Case Managers are volunteers who help recruit, onboard, manage and train volunteers/mentors to support foster families and youth in foster care. This position is great for someone with case management/social work experience, who has extra time to volunteer during the week to help a growing nonprofit expand its much-needed services across Greater Houston. This position reports to the Board of Directors.
Houston Angels is the growing local chapter of a national 501c3 organization that supports the local foster care community. The main role of a Houston Angels Case Manager involves conducting volunteer calls and completing reference checks, matching volunteers/mentors with foster families/youth in foster care, training volunteers, and monitoring the ongoing success and challenges with matched cases. This position also involves creating case profiles, gathering stories to be used in impact reports, tracking data on the success of each program match, doing general industry research, and helping to plan/execute special projects and events.
- Engage in discussions around sensitive topics including child abuse, neglect, trauma, mental health, poverty, substance abuse, trust-based relational intervention, rehabilitation, social adjustment, therapeutic needs, child demographics, case trajectory, family preservation and child relational concerns. Utilize these discussions to advocate and make decisions for the best interest of the client.
- Assist with recruiting new volunteer/volunteer groups.
- Respond to all volunteer interest from website/direct email within 24 hours during the work week. Within 36 Hours on the weekend.
- Build and maintain partnerships with local CPAs (child placement agencies) and other child welfare organizations.
- Gather foster family referrals and/or foster youth information including their background information, needs, and child information to help determine the best volunteer match to meet their needs.
- Ensure volunteers complete all onboarding requirements.
- Maintain case history records and help prepare impact reports.
- Create and send monthly tracking forms and newsletters with updates and provide program direction by the first of the month and ensure that the report forms are completed.
- Help plan and execute special projects and events.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- A qualified candidate will be a highly skilled communicator with strong interpersonal skills and abilities to quickly curate trust based connections (including volunteers, corporate partners, and other Houston Angels supporters). This person will possess knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; and psychological needs.
- Case managers should demonstrate a spirit of inclusivity and acceptance of people from all backgrounds and walks of life.
- A qualified candidate will be a self-starter who can work independently and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- A qualified candidate will have the ability to be teachable in the different skills the job requires.
- Ability to give 10 hours per week to the role.
- A background in social services or related field is preferred but not required.
- Associate Degree and 2+ years of related experience
- Bachelor's Degree and 1+ year of related experience
- Masters Degree and 6+ months of related experience