The Blockchain & Climate Institute (BCI) is an international volunteer-led think tank supporting and advocating the application of blockchain and other emerging technology in the global fight against climate change.
We are looking to recruit a highly motivated and enthusiastic volunteer who will serve as the Chief Financial Officer, leading the day-to-day financial matters of the organisation, and building an investment team to manage the future BCI Investment Fund.
The ideal candidate is driven and experienced; and looking to make a difference to international climate change governance. The successful candidate will be a competent financial manager or director with experience managing teams and projects from inception to completion. Working with initiative and having a desire to find solutions to organisational problems should be second nature. Experience as the CFO or most senior Finance Director in an organisation will be highly beneficial, as will finance experience in a non-profit environment.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Overseeing the BCI Accounting Unit – a team of Accounting Officers responsible for the day-to-day financial management of BCI. Accountability for ensuring that the Accounting Unit delivers on the following responsibilities:
- Performing general cost accounting;
- Preparing periodic (monthly) balance sheets, income statements, and profit and loss statements;
- Maintaining the general ledger;
- Preparing payroll and maintaining payroll information, creating reports and resolving any payroll discrepancies that may arise;
- Coding invoices, setting up new accounts, reconciling accounts, and closing the monthly books;
- Reconciling bank accounts at least monthly, verifying deposits, and addressing inquiries from banks;
- Reconciling donor accounts and managing accounts receivable collections;
- Verifying payment of invoices associated with accounts payable and ensuring payments are charged to the appropriate accounts;
- Providing outside auditors with assistance; gathering necessary account information and documents to perform annual audit;
- Filing required tax forms with national and sub-national government agencies;
- Building and leading a new team to manage the future BCI Investment Fund (which will be a separate legal entity though), in line with our sustainability goals and likely future charity status. This will include:
- Hiring and managing a team (small to begin with; growing as required) of volunteers with relevant fund management experience;
- Leading on the establishment of a suitable company structure for any BCI investment fund(s);
- Developing and overseeing the investment policy or policies of any BCI investment fund(s);
- Working with the ExCo to develop strategic investment parameters relating to ESG (particularly in the context of climate-friendly investment), in line with the BCI’s mission;
- Managing other ad-hoc financial activities as needed.
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills, including exceptional written English, the ability to develop effective working relationships, work flexibly across professional and operational boundaries, and communicate professionally with internal and external stakeholders at all levels;
- Proven ability to lead, develop and motivate a team
- Proven ability to effectively multitask and prioritise work;
- Excellent problem-solving skills; and
- Excellent attention to detail and proactive attitude
General & Specialist Knowledge:
- Strong financial management expertise is essential for this role.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word, Excel, Power-point is essential to perform in this role; and
- Some knowledge on topics central to the BCI such as climate change, climate finance and blockchain technology preferred.
Education & Training:
- Educated to at least Bachelor’s degree level (Master’s degree preferred); and
- A recognised financial management or accounting qualification.
- +20 years' experience working in a similar role is essential, ideally acquired in a not-for-profit environment;
- Experience of building constructive relationships with stakeholders; and
- Experience of working independently and with teams to drive forward projects using own initiative.