Position: Volunteer Mentor
Reports to: GOLD Program Coordinator
Program Dates: 2020/2021 School Year
Location: YWCA Cambridge, Central Square
YWCA Cambridge is dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women, and promoting peace, freedom, and dignity for all.
The GOLD Program is seeking caring adults who are willing and available to serve as a friend and role model to 7th, 8th, and 9th-grade girlx and non-binary youth in Cambridge. Volunteer mentors will work closely with the GOLD Coordinator and the program participants who are enrolled in the program.
- Mentors will guide students through the program and aid in their development of leadership skills, positive self-esteem, and an anti-oppressive outlook through team building activities, small group discussions, and interactive workshops.
- Mentors are expected to participate in the GOLD Mentor Training Curriculum, which will provide the tools and resources necessary to address social problems related to GOLD program participants' lives. The Mentor Training Curriculum and Program will help support mentors to build interpersonal relationships with each other and the program participants.
- Mentors will be expected to attend a virtual orientation in the fall before the official start of the GOLD program.
- Mentors are required to participate in surveys and research studies to document the influence and impact of the mentor and mentee relationship, including but not limited to a pre and post-program survey.
- Mentors must be able to commit to attending a minimum of 20 out of 28 of the GOLD's weekly sessions and honor all commitments made between mentor and mentee in a formal mentor/mentee agreement.
- The GOLD program will take place virtually during the Fall of 2020.
- The GOLD Coordinator will provide a supportive environment for the Mentors to be able to voice their concerns, opinions, and to contribute to the GOLD curriculum.
- Mentors must complete a Volunteer Application and successfully pass a CORI /SORI background check.
- Mentors must attend a mandatory Volunteer Orientation/Training session provided by the YWCA Cambridge.
- Mentors must sign a GOLD Mentor Agreement form and abide by the YWCA mission.
Contact Puja Kranz-Howe (GOLD Coordinator) for more information at email@example.com or 617-491-6050 x 3035.
Thank you for your interest in supporting Cambridge youth and the YWCA Cambridge!