The Anacostia Watershed Society seeks a new member to join our Board of Directors as Chair of our Development Committee. This position will lead the Development Committee to create and implement comprehensive development strategies that engage donors, corporations, and foundations to ensure the ongoing financial vitality of the organization. Working closely with the Executive Director and Development Director, the Development Committee Chair will provide leadership and engage fellow board members to take an active fundraising role in all annual and major fundraising initiatives.
About the Anacostia Watershed Society
The Anacostia Watershed Society was founded in 1989 by a small group of concerned individuals who decided that the environmental needs of the Anacostia River and its watershed communities required serious attention. Over the past 30 years, our staff and programming efforts have expanded significantly to encompass efforts in environmental education, stewardship, and recreation, as well as engaging the community through public affairs. Our mission is to protect and restore the Anacostia River by bringing partners and communities together to achieve a clean and safe river for the benefit of all living in its watershed and for future generations. Our ultimate vision is to restore the Anacostia to a fishable and swimmable river by 2025.
The Board of Directors is legally and ethically responsible for all the activities of the organization, and each Board member is expected to take an active role in guiding the organization toward its mission-driven goals. The Board is responsible for adopting an annual budget and providing fiscal oversight throughout the year. The Board hires and evaluates the President and evaluates its own performance in assisting AWS to meet its mission. The Board meets quarterly, in the evening (6pm – 9pm), and Board members meet in their Committee roles as often as needed. We generally have a one-day retreat for strategic planning annually.
Our Board term is for three years and a Board member may be appointed for two consecutive terms before having to step down/aside for a minimum of one year. As a non-profit, Board service is without compensation. Each member has an annual “give or get” fundraising goal, and 100% Board giving participation is not only expected, but also required by several of our larger foundation grants.
· Work with Executive Director and Development Director to develop comprehensive fundraising strategies to support overall financial strategy and capital campaigns.
· Develop and implement stewardship programs aimed at cultivating deeper ties and long-term relationship approach with current and potential donors and communities.
· Oversee the logistics of committee operations, and ensure the committee members have the information to do their jobs. Assign work to the committee members, set the agenda, run regular meetings, and distribute meeting minutes.
· Initiate and lead the committee’s annual evaluation.
· Monitor and report regularly to the full Board on the progress of the development program and fundraising activities as well as committee decisions and recommendations.
· Monitor and provide personal follow-up and coaching with Board members and volunteers to support their participation and achievement of their specific assignments and targets.
· Serve as liaison to prospective major donors.
· Provide strategic input to staff on special events.
1. Ability to attend Board and lead Development Committee meetings on an at least quarterly basis.
2. Entrepreneurial drive and desire to play lead role in organization’s growth strategy.
3. Leadership, governance, and fundraising experience in another organization, especially in the nonprofit sector.
4. Strong written and verbal communication skills, including persuasive and effective
communication that forwards the purpose and mission of the organization.
5. Willingness and ability to make asks on organization’s behalf as a board ambassador.
6. Interest and enthusiasm in helping to restore and protect the Anacostia River and its watershed communities.
The Anacostia Watershed Society seeks a new member to join our Board of Directors as Chair of our Development Committee. This position will lead the Development Committee to create and implement comprehensive development strategies…