Freedom Forward is working to prevent the commercial sexual exploitation of youth in San Francisco by transforming the systems that too often contribute to their exploitation. Guided by the voices of youth, Freedom Forward pilots new, collaborative, and replicable approaches to address these systemic failures.
In its first three years of operation, Freedom Forward has formed the country’s first Youth Advisory Board for a city-wide anti-trafficking task force (which received recognition from California Senator Feinstein), produced an educational animation about trafficking that has been viewed over 45,000 times across channels, and has found ways to meaningfully engage and compensate dozens of young people with relevant lived experience to inform its work.
Freedom Forward seeks a volunteer to support digital communications strategy and implementation. Projects could include, though are not limited to:
1. Helping develop and deploy an organizational digital communications strategy
- Work with us to streamline our messaging across our initiatives, website, and social media platforms to build consistent, clear, and compelling messaging for our audiences
- Maximize engagement across social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram) and work to increase audience
- Help us streamline and simplify boilerplate language
- Make recommendations for website improvements
- Make recommendations for electronic newsletter cadence and format
- Make recommendations for social media channel cadence and content themes
- Oversee social media posting / calendar and content development
- Use data from marketing campaigns to continually refine marketing strategy
2. Helping us recruit at least 15 hosts for Launchpads through digital marketing
- Work with the Launchpads Program Manager to develop strategy around outreach and recruitment for hosts (leveraging, at a minimum, Facebook Ads and Google Adwords) to house youth in Extended Foster Care
- Develop strategy around retargeting warm audiences
- Develop A/B tests for new ads and audiences
- Help secure Launchpads hosts by deploying the online digital marketing campaign strategies, with continual refinement of ads, the info event sign up page, etc.
3. Reaching teens and young adults through our Jasmine Campaign
- Help us reach 100K video views of our Jasmine video
- Build Jasmine’s social media channels
- Educate youth on commercial sexual exploitation through Jasmine Strong online marketing campaign
- Deploy ads that connect youth to community resources
- Help summarize lessons learned on reaching youth
4. Building the capacity of our team to manage social media long-term
- Coaching team members interested in social media on strategies and tips for effective posts across social media channels
WHO YOU ARE
We are looking for someone who…
- Strong written communications - You’re great with words.
- Brings expertise in digital marketing. Ideal candidates will also have a background in graphic design, communications, public relations, or journalism.
- Loves both communication strategy and operations - You are excited to form our communications strategy… and to bring it to life.
- Is an independent operator - You have a get-s***-done attitude, enjoy working independently, and are excited to jump into a role where you will be bringing new expertise to our organization.
- Is excited by Freedom Forward's mission and culture - You care deeply about building a city and system where all young people can thrive, especially those who have experienced commercial sexual exploitation. You thrive in a start-up, fast-paced environment that values centering youth voice, fostering thoughtful innovation, embracing complexity, weaving a connected ecosystem, nourishing strengths and wellbeing, and approaching our work with humility but not fear. You appreciate feedback, continuous learning, and are deeply committed to equity and social justice.
RESOURCING YOUR WORK
While we don’t have a paid communications role at this time, we have the following resources available to support your work in this role:
- Access to Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Canva Pro, and other tools that will support your work
- Budget to run ads for Launchpads and Jasmine
- Relationships with our staff members who are interested in supporting your growth and professional development