For ages 16 years and older
Please note: ECHO requires proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 for all volunteers, interns, and staff
Encourage museum guests to get hands-on and explore science by doing in our Engineer It gallery!
Click here to fill out an application!
Engineer It Facilitators guide learners through hands-on activities by asking questions, having meaningful conversations, and encouraging guests to think like scientists. As a Facilitator, you will lead museum guests through engaging activities in a variety of science fields, with a focus on problem solving and the Engineering Design Process.
What will I do as an Engineer It Facilitator?
- Facilitate hands-on science and engineering activities for a diverse audience with guests of all ages
- Empower guests to solve problems and think like scientists
- Encourage guests to share ideas and work together
- Work collaboratively with other volunteers and staff
- Keep learning and adapting to changes at ECHO and in scientific understanding
- Assist with festivals and special events as needed
- Minimum of 4 months of volunteer service
- Minimum of one 3 hour shift per week (more shifts available if wanted)
- Occasional 30 minute virtual and in person training (no more than 1 per month)
- Shifts available 7 days a week!
- Morning Shifts: 10:30 - 1:30pm
- Afternoon Shifts: 2 - 5pm
- Training Sessions: 1:30 - 2pm
What do I need to be successful in this position?
- Willingness to initiate friendly conversations with guests of all ages and backgrounds
- Enthusiasm for learning about a variety of science fields
- Interest in personal growth and improvement as an educator; willingness to receive training and feedback
- Enthusiasm for working as part of a team of ECHO volunteers and staff educators
What will I learn?
How to facilitate hands-on science activities
- Skills used to teach guests of all ages and knowledge levels
- How to ask questions to support learning and understanding
- Helping guests problem-solve and work out their own creative solutions
- How to empower guests to see themselves as scientists
- Big-picture scientific concepts from a variety of fields (e.g. physics, chemistry, lake science, engineering, etc.)
- Engineering Design Process and the scientific method
- Creativity, collaboration, critical thinking, and communication skills
What opportunities are there to grow and take on more responsibilities?
- Creating STEM activities – working with staff to develop hands-on activities and engineering design challenges
- Do research to help update ECHO’s educational content
- Train new volunteers in activities and inquiry-based learning strategies
What benefits will I receive as an ECHO volunteer?
- 20% discount at ECHO’s Gift Shop
- Free admission to ECHO for the volunteer
- Free coffee & tea in volunteer lounge
- Annual appreciation events
- Professional development opportunities
- Volunteer social gatherings
- ECHO day passes, distributed quarterly
- ECHO branded gear & gifts
- ECHO memberships
- Letters of recommendation/reference
Interested in joining us? Click here to fill out an application!
We're looking forward to reading your application!