Masa is seeking dedicated volunteers to provide in person tutoring and homework help to elementary and middle school students in the South Bronx! Masa partners with Mexican and Latino children, youth, and families to develop strong learners and leaders who fully contribute to the broader community. Our community-led, integrated model engages the entire family, and it is grounded in a deep commitment to strengthening literacy, leadership, and power for Mexican, Central American, and Indigenous people. We foster a culturally responsive learning community in which families engage with direct service and advocacy programs to dismantle barriers to success.
This is a great opportunity to provide academic support to children of immigrant families in a historically underserved area in New York City. By tutoring students for three hours a week, you can help ensure that children who are not being properly supported by the school system, especially in one of the hardest hit communities by the pandemic, are in a better position academically for this school year.
Masa's After-school Program (MAP) will operate in person from October 2021 to June 2022, as follows:
· Grades K-3: Monday & Tuesday from 5:30pm – 7:00pm (may change to 6-7:30pm)
· Grades 4-5: Thursday & Friday from 6pm – 7:30pm
· Grades 6-8, Wednesday from 6pm-8pm & Saturday from 11am-12:30pm
2770 Third Avenue
Bronx, NY 10455
During program, students receive homework help, grow as readers and mathematicians, and learn about social justice.
Masa's 2021-2022 After-School Program will start in October 2021 and run through June 2022 with the possibility of extending into the summer. Volunteers are admitted on a rolling basis.
Requirements are as follows:
· Ability to volunteer consistently at least once a week but preferably twice a week for at least 4-6 months, ideally for entire duration of the program. When working with children, consistency is the key to success!
· Commit to supporting Masa scholars in improving their literacy and math skills, as well as completing HW, using a strengths-based and culturally responsive approach
· Willingness and ability to serve as a tutor/homework facilitator to elementary or middle school students in an in person setting
· Willingness and ability to discuss topics related to social justice with students, including the Black Lives Matter movement, Immigrant rights, Indigenous People’s rights and histories and LGBTQIA+ rights
· Attend mandatory orientation and trainings (provided advance notice and multiple options for scheduling)
· Commitment to following all Masa policies and procedures, including with respect to confidentiality and boundaries
· Provide feedback on student progress and/or concerns to Masa staff and/or fill out any required surveys
· Agree to in person program and adhere to all health and safety policies
· Must be at least 16 years old and have parent consent to volunteer
· Vaccination and masks are required
Interested in applying? Fill out our interest form: https://forms.gle/8xRE2jbttdMHAZxG9
Masa is seeking dedicated volunteers to provide in person tutoring and homework help to elementary and middle school students in the South Bronx! Masa partners with Mexican and Latino children, youth, and families to develop strong…