Explore Austin provides youth with six years of adventure, and a lifetime of opportunity. Join us for a year of paid national service through AmeriCorps VISTA to help us build, strengthen, and connect our growing community of outdoor leaders! At Explore Austin you'll:
- build a strong foundation for continued alumni engagement through connecting with local organizations
- organize and coordinate alumni events, from networking to climbing meet-ups to campouts
- utilize creative opportunities, like NPR's StoryCorps Archive, to capture alumni, mentor, and explorer stories and share them with the community
- ensure the systems we track our alumni with are updated and operating smoothly
- develop new volunteer and partner recruitment strategies
- engage current and alumni volunteers through the creation of resources and online trainings
We need a charismatic communicator with a fierce independent streak. Because this position is a healthy mix of collaborative and individual projects, we are looking for motivated creatives who love to lead--and who aren't afraid to come camping with us! Bilingual English-Spanish is preferred, and a strong background in communications is a must.
As our VISTA, you will be supported, coached, and respected throughout your year of service as you learn valuable, transferable skills and attend professional development sessions to build your portfolio.
Apply NOW at https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?fromSearch=true&id=104923
or visit http://willread.org/VISTA to learn more!
*** AmeriCorps VISTAs are full-time, paid volunteers placed through the Literacy Coalition of Central Texas at service sites across Texas. Each VISTA serves for one year at their placement site with at our partner agencies. They help to improve health services, create and evaluate programs, strengthen community groups, conduct outreach, and much, much more. VISTA members and their service sites create, implement, expand, and improve programs designed to bring individuals and communities out of poverty. ***
Benefits of VISTA Service
- Living allowance paid on the 15th and final day of every month (equal to approximately $1100 a month)
- Health and prescription drug benefits for the full year of service
- Eligibility for stipends and benefits (such as SNAP) to assist with living expenses
- Student loan forbearance
- The option to receive the Segal Education Award ($6,345) upon successful completion of service, which can be applied towards eligible student loans or future education costs. Those who select the education award have the option to have the National Service Trust pay all or a portion of the interest that accumulates on their qualified student loans during service at the end of their successful term.
- Monthly professional development sessions, as well as individual check-ins to provide guidance and resources
- Additional training and development opportunities through the Literacy Coalition
- Participation in various community service projects throughout the term
- Site specific training for individual member roles
- Eligibility for additional stipends and benefits to assist members with children, or members relocating more than 50 miles for service
- Leave benefits: 10 personal days and 10 days of sick leave in addition to any holidays taken by your site
- The option to receive $1,800 cash stipend in place of the education award at the end of service
- Non-Competitive Eligibility for one year to aid in applying to federal jobs upon successful completion of your service term
If you would like to be considered for this position, please apply through the my.AmeriCorps.gov portal using this link. This position will close to applicants on July 29th.
Questions? Reach out to Cat at firstname.lastname@example.org!