Global Citizen is a nonprofit organization that is dedicated to civic engagement among diverse groups, through volunteering, education, community building, economic development, and leadership development. We are a small organization, but our impact is widespread. Our Greater Philadelphia Martin Luther King Day of Service is the oldest and largest King Day of Service event in the country, engaging over 145,000 volunteers in some 1,800 community projects. In the past, we've hosted events with Vice President Joe Biden, Nobel Peace Prize winner Leymah Gbowee, and Wendy Spenser— CEO of the Corporation for National and Community Service. Check out our website for more info: globalcitizen365.org
The Community Affairs Rep will assist in outreach and partnership development for the Greater Philadelphia Martin Luther King Day of Service. Co-ops will work directly with the Director of Outreach and Communications to recruit, train and support organizations and individuals coordinating service projects. Co-ops will also help to manage project recruitment, social media, and plan their own passion project. Co-ops will also work on supporting the Reading Captains Initiative Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Contact and connect with past partners
- Conduct research to identify new participants for the KDOS, with a focus on increasing participation among groups to be determined.
- Running social media pages
- Creating and coordinating a service project/event of their choice
- Outreaching to new organizations
- Volunteer coordination
- Helping to facilitate and present at Neighborhood in Action Workshops
- Update Reading Captain contact info, help clean- up and organize lists
They will also be able to participate in service events with a variety of community organizations (past event partners have included the Philadelphia Phillies, Books Through Bars, Philadelphia Parks and Recreation, Cradles to Crayons, and Philadelphia FIGHT). Throughout their time, co-ops will gain a better understanding of the Philadelphia area nonprofit landscape. *Please note, this position comes with a modest stipend and travel reimbursement.*
The position offers an introduction to the nonprofit and public sectors in Philadelphia and the opportunity to build relationships with a wide variety of community partners and grassroots initiatives. The ideal candidates will be passionate, energetic, organized, and deeply committed to working with diverse partners.
• A commitment to diversity, civic engagement and community service
• The ability to work with people from diverse cultures and sectors
• Solid planning, organization and time management skills
• Ability to work independently
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Experience coordinating projects and working with teams
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
• Comfort with online communication and social media
May have experience with CRM - Salesforce
Ability to show off creative ability
Global Citizen is a nonprofit organization that is dedicated to civic engagement among diverse groups, through volunteering, education, community building, economic development, and leadership development. We are a small organization…
With any questions or concerns, please email us so we can clarify!