The FIRST NH VISTA Opportunity
Play a key role in the exciting expansion of FIRST® programs throughout the northern part of New Hampshire! Located onsite in Littleton, NH, as FIRST VISTA, you will work with FIRST New Hampshire (FIRST NH) staff and White Mountain Science, Inc. (WMSI) staff to build a foundation for sustainable growth of FIRST programs in rural, underserved communities. You will help us recruit and establish new teams within schools and community groups, you will organize and facilitate networking events and training workshops for students and coaches, and you will help plan competition events for our northern NH FIRST teams.
While working alongside WMSI staff, you’ll also have the opportunity to grow your own skills in non-profit management, project management, technology, education, event facilitation, and much more. You will ride-along with WMSI staff as they deliver quality STEM programs to the local schools and community groups, and you will learn from some of the best in the business.
Located in the heart of the White Mountains, you will also take advantage of the many engaging outdoor opportunities, including: world class skiing, hiking, rock climbing, mountain biking, rafting, and more! Plus, there are wonderful local dining, theatre, and live music venues, along with several university and continuing education opportunities as well.
Come be part of something special with FIRST New Hampshire!
The FIRST VISTA Role
FIRST VISTA members work in a full-time capacity with their local Site Supervisors. They often work to build the capacity of FIRST by focusing on impacting underserved and underrepresented populations in the following ways:
● Supporting the recruitment of teams, mentors, coaches and volunteers with an emphasis on securing and sustaining support to the low income/underserved
● Identifying specific underserved schools and communities as locations to establish FIRST teams or sustain and grow existing teams
● Raising awareness of grant, funding, and scholarship opportunities among underserved students, schools or teams
● Developing and executing strategies to support the needs of local organizations that support FIRST teams in low income/underserved areas
● Track and report out on specific performance milestones and measurements.
● Candidates should be at least 18 years of age
● Candidates must be able to serve on a full time (40 hours per week) basis for one year
● Candidates must be self-motivated team players, with excellent verbal and written communication skills
● Candidates must also be comfortable with computers, and be willing to be trained on all FIRST programs
● Local travel will be necessary, so candidates must have a valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle
● Living Allowance – Modest bi-weekly living allowance to cover basic expenses
● Relocation Allowance – Travel assistance if you relocate over 50 miles to serve
● End of Service Award – Choose between an education award (over $6,000) or cash stipend award ($1,800)
● Non-Competitive Eligibility - Hiring path that makes it easier for federal jobs to hire you
● Professional Development – In-person and virtual training opportunities throughout the year
● Additional benefits can be found at: https://www.vistacampus.gov/members/benefits-of-service
FIRST® (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) was founded in 1989 to inspire young people's interest and participation in science and technology. Based in Manchester, NH, the 501(c)(3) not-for-profit public charity designs accessible, innovative programs that motivate young people to pursue education and career opportunities in science, technology, engineering, and math, while building self-confidence, knowledge, and life skills.
The FIRST Mission
The mission of FIRST is to inspire young people to be science and technology leaders and innovators, by engaging them in exciting mentor-based programs that build science, engineering, and technology skills, that inspire innovation, and that foster well-rounded life capabilities including self-confidence, communication, and leadership.
The FIRST AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) Program seeks to expand the vision of FIRST by working in areas that have been deemed underserved: lower socio-economic communities, rural areas, and areas that have little to no support or resources to be able to easily access STEM initiatives.
The FIRST NH VISTA Opportunity
Play a key role in the exciting expansion of FIRST® programs throughout the northern part of New Hampshire! Located onsite in Littleton, NH, as FIRST VISTA, you will work with FIRST New Hampshire (FIRST NH) staff and…