This is a community-based assignment where the volunteer will utilize a quiet, private area to provide weekly virtual conversations (using phone, tablet, computer) with homebound Veterans or inpatients who are seeking to make a connection outside of their current environment and/or to provide support and communication to the Veteran’s caregiver. Volunteers will be trained and matched with veterans for 1:1 socialization. These are friendly visits with no medical or home-care duties.
- Provide quality 1:1 social interaction, engaging Veterans in meaningful conversations
- Schedule and participate in regular telephone or video visits which may consist of conversing with the Veteran/Caregiver for a mutually agreed upon time frame (generally but not limited to 15-30 minutes) to convey support and concern
- Immediately report any problems, or concerns conveyed by the Veteran and/or caregiver to the local VA Compassionate Contact Corps Coordinator who works as the liaison to the Veteran’s primary care team.
- Current Red Cross volunteer,
- Comfortable having conversations virtually using platforms such as Zoom, Facetime, etc. or by phone
- Sensitive to the needs of Veterans/Caregivers in stressful situations
- Empathetic and compassionate listener
- Ability to maintain privacy and confidentiality as mandated by HIPAA
- Must be willing to communicate regularly with the local Compassionate Contact Corps Coordinator
- Good people skills, excellent communication/listening skills
- Excellent phone proficiency such as a clear voice, good listening skills and compassion
- Emotionally mature, positive and service-oriented
- Ability to work independently
- Volunteer to provide own means (phone/computer) of communication
- Must be over the age of 18
- Preferably, contact will take place at least once per week and may occur more as mutually agreed upon by volunteer and Veteran. 15-30 minutes per visit.
- American Red Cross Orientation
- VA Onboarding
- VAVS Orientation
- Compassionate Contact Corps Orientation
- Job specific orientations to include: HIPAA, Suicide Prevention, Customer Service Training/Telephone Visitor Orientation