Habitat for Humanity Greater Toronto Area
Habitat for Humanity GTA is a local organization with a global vision of a world where everyone has a safe and decent place to live. We mobilize communities to help working families build strength, stability and self-reliance through affordable homeownership. With the help of volunteers, donors, and community partners, we provide a solid foundation for better, healthier lives for families in the GTA. Since 1988, Habitat GTA has built 25 new communities, providing a hand up to hundreds of families so parents and children can have a safe, decent and affordable place to call home. To learn more, visit habitatgta.ca
In support of Habitat for Humanity GTA’s homebuilding activity, we operate a network of social enterprise home improvement stores called Habitat ReStore. Our 12 locations across the GTA procure and sell new and used donated home furnishings, appliances, and renovation materials. Proceeds from sales help cover the cost to build homes, which allows donor dollars to go directly towards our mission. The Habitat ReStore model reduces the need for the production of new furniture and further stress on our supply of natural resources. It extends the value of quality, new and used furniture and household items and limits unnecessary waste, decreasing our collective carbon footprint.
Description of Position:
The Welcome and information Volunteer position supports the staff and customers. This role interacts with customers that come in to the ReStore with a welcoming smile and helping hands.
The Welcome and Information Volunteer is a welcoming face and a touch point with answers to customer and donor questions within the store.
This opportunity is great for individuals who like to work inside and/or have restrictions on their ability to do manual labour but would still like to be involved with the ReStores.
· Welcome customers into the Restore with a friendly and professional demeanor
· Ensure hand sanitization and distribute masks according to current mask guidelines
· Assist with customers needs and answer their inquiries or guide them to the appropriate staff member
· Assist in providing a safe and healthy working environment
· Help maintain cleanliness and safety of the ReStore
· Thank customers for shopping and promote Habitat’s mission
· Other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Qualifications
· Strong commitment to customer service
· Able to work with a diverse team
· Have excellent verbal communication and the ability to effectively communicate with staff members and volunteers
· A positive attitude, enthusiasm, and friendly
· Understanding of the Habitat for Humanity philosophy and the desire to promote it
· Be prepared to wear all the required personal protective equipment while in the ReStore
· Be able to attend an orientation session prior to start day
· All volunteers must be a minimum of 16 years of age
Training Provided by Habitat
· Attendance to an orientation session is required prior to starting an official volunteer shift.
· Customer Service Training
· Meet new people and network with like-minded individuals
· Increase your skills in customer service
· Sharpen your public speaking skills
· Meet hundreds (maybe even thousands) of new people each year
· Receive access to exclusive volunteer opportunities and Habitat events
· Become a critical part of the Habitat for Humanity GTA as well as getting to know our staff, Future Homeowners and volunteers
· Give back to your community and help raise funds for affordable homeownership
What you need to know:
Store Locations: (ReStore hours of operation vary by location)
Brampton: 3-268 Rutherford Rd. S
North York: 1120 Caledonia Rd.
East York: 155 Bermondsey Rd.
Scarborough: 1181 Kennedy Rd.
Etobicoke: 700 Kipling Ave.
Toronto Studio District: 3 Carlaw Ave.
Markham: 7701 Woodbine Ave.
Vaughan: 2180 Steeles Ave. W
Uxbridge: 141 Reach Street
Woodbridge North: 551 Cityview Blvd.
Newmarket: 16715 Yonge Street
Oshawa: 364 Centre Street
Habitat for Humanity Greater Toronto Area
Habitat for Humanity GTA is a local organization with a global vision of a world where everyone has a safe and decent place to live. We mobilize communities to help working families build strength…
Habitat for Humanity GTA is committed to ensuring a barrier-free, accessible and inclusive work environment. We welcome and encourage volunteers with disabilities, and upon individual request, will endeavour to provide appropriate accommodations. Please contact volunteer services if interested at email@example.com or 416-755-7353 x 2225
Habitat for Humanity GTA is committed to ensuring a barrier-free, accessible and inclusive work environment. We welcome and encourage volunteers with disabilities, and upon…