THE TRANSPORTATION GAP:
Thousands of individuals in Tulsa, Oklahoma cannot access the healthcare and social services they need to succeed due to inadequate transportation options. This means our friends, neighbors, and colleagues are suffering from decreased mental and physical health, poorer educational outcomes, and lower employment rates. At Modus, we are changing the way people think about transportation to ensure that everyone can access the services and opportunities they need to succeed.
TOP REASONS TO VOLUNTEER WITH MODUS:
- Small Commitment: One ride typically only takes 15-30 minutes and there's no minimum ride commitment. All rides are split, so if you can give one leg of a trip, another volunteer can take the client home after their appointment.
- Make a Difference: Volunteering with Modus is a simple way to make a BIG difference in your community. One ride a week may not seem like much, but it makes a big difference for someone who lacks safe and reliable transportation.
- Develop a Meaningful Connection: Volunteers develop meaningful connections with the people they drive.
- YOU Choose when you Drive: Volunteer drivers choose when and where they drive. With rides taking place anytime between 8am-8pm, Monday-Friday, you get to choose which rides fit your busy schedule.
- Help Local Tulsans Succeed: Share successes with the people you drive as they improve themselves and reach their goals.
- Explore the City: Modus serves clients all over Tulsa, giving our drivers the opportunity to develop a more complete understanding of the city and the people living in it.
HOW WE HELP OUR COMMUNITY:
Under our transportation service, Modus matches people (who are at least 13 years old) who need transportation with passionate, volunteer drivers who then transport the clients to and from the services they need using their personal vehicles. We also have an educational program called ModusEd, which teaches local high school students how to use existing transit options, like Tulsa Transit, so they can get to school and part-time jobs. Since beginning in 2017, Modus has already helped over 450 Tulsans get to critical health and social service appointments and increased youth ridership on the bus by 30%.
HOW YOU’LL HELP OUR COMMUNITY:
- By becoming a volunteer driver, you're increasing equal access to opportunities for everyone, who otherwise may miss, skip, or avoid opportunities because of lack of adequate transportation.
- By giving a Modus ride, you're showing the people of Tulsa that their community cares about their success and ultimately showing them they are not in this life alone and can receive the support they need to be successful.
YOU’LL BE PERFECT FOR THIS IF:
- You have a passion for helping others.
- You want to help create equality among all people.
- You're looking for an opportunity to volunteer at your own pace and availability, where there's no demanding labor or long hours to commit to.
- You're looking for an opportunity that allows you to directly see the impact you're having among the people you're helping.
- You’re punctual, yet flexible with changes.
- You're wanting an opportunity that allows you to explore your community and equips you with the knowledge of existing resources across the city.
READY TO HELP US DRIVE CHANGE?
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more, or fill out an application on our website, https://www.modustulsa.org/apply
REQUIREMENTS TO DRIVE:
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Must have a clean driving record.
- Must be at least 21-years-old.
- Must have a clean vehicle in good working condition.
- Must have proof of vehicle insurance.
OUR RESPONSE TO COVID-19
In lieu of COVID-19, Modus has decided to move our onboarding process online.
- Applications can be filled out online through our website (www.modustulsa.org/apply).
- Once received, a staff member will reach out via phone call to answer any questions you may have, explain more about our organization, and complete a phone screening with you.
- After the phone screening, the staff member will set up a time with you to complete our orientation training via Zoom.
- During that orientation, you'll complete information to submit for a criminal background check and motor vehicle report screening.
- If all is well, once it's safe and responsible to do so, we'll reach back out to schedule a one-time ride along with you. The ride along is where you'll accompany an experienced Modus driver on a Modus ride so that you'll be able to see what a Modus ride is like and be able to ask any questions regarding the easy process.
How have our rides changed due to COVID?
Check out our new policies and sanitation measures to ensure the health and safety of everyone in the vehicle by visiting, www.modustulsa.org/covid-19. If you have any questions, feel free to give us a call at our main number (918) 280-9563 or send us an email at email@example.com.