Boston Outdoor Preschool Network builds joyful communities of children and teachers connected to each other and their outdoor environments through discovery and play. We believe that children are intrinsically motivated to learn, and that they do so by exploring the world around them. Our programs are located on the grounds of the Arnold Arboretum (Boston) and Massachusetts Horticultural Society (Wellesley). To learn more, please visit www.bopn.org.
To assist with teaching children ages 2.9 through 6 years under the supervision of Lead Teachers and our Fellowship Program Manager
Schedule and Hours:
Teaching hours are 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Monday through Friday, September 1, 2021 through June 18, 2022. Our school year calendar is similar to Boston public schools.
Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University (Boston, MA)
This fellowship is unpaid; however, Fellows receive complimentary housing at our “community house” located two blocks from the Arboretum.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Nurture the spirit and curiosity of each child while promoting respect and building community
- Assist the Lead Teachers to be responsible for the health and safety of the children in your class. This includes helping children stay comfortable in various weather conditions and managing risk in an outdoor setting
- Use a nature-based and play-based approach with children in nature
- Develop emergent curriculum based on the children’s interests and the natural environment
- Gracefully and professionally communicate with teachers, parents, and Arboretum staff members
- Attend an orientation and set monthly goals. Check in with the Fellowship Program Manager on a regular basis.
- Attend occasional professional development events outside of regular teaching hours
- Strong interest in nature-based early childhood education
- Curiosity about the natural world and ability to convey a sense of awe and wonder to the children
- Excited to teach outdoors in all kinds of weather. Traverse hilly, natural terrain for 3 hours each day while carrying supplies
- Comfortable living in our busy “community house” together with a teacher and another Fellow
- Ability to commit to this fellowship for the duration of our 9-month school year, from September through June
- Background check and references are required
- While BOPN has a friendly relationship with the Arnold Arboretum, we are separate nonprofit organizations and the Arboretum is not involved with organizing or operating BOPN's programs
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your resume and cover letter to Fellowship Program Manager Teresa.Torchia@bopn.org and Executive Director Sarah.Besse@bopn.org